Questions Before Purchasing

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I'll be around a lot more when I finally own a Mac :)
I'm a student on an extremely tight budget.
So, I have a few minor questions before I decide to throw down the money for an entry level Macbook (the 2.1GHz 1gb RAM one).

1. Did you get the extended warranty? (AppleCare?) It's very pricey and for a student tight on money, it'll be nice if it isn't necessary.
2. Can you buy the warranty after it's broken down? (I know about the within 1 year of purchase condition).
3. If I upgrade RAM by myself (from the entry 1gb to 2gb :p), does it void the AppleCare warranty?

Thanks so much! Hope to join you guys soon.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I'll be around a lot more when I finally own a Mac :)
I'm a student on an extremely tight budget.
So, I have a few minor questions before I decide to throw down the money for an entry level Macbook (the 2.1GHz 1gb RAM one).

1. Did you get the extended warranty? (AppleCare?) It's very pricey and for a student tight on money, it'll be nice if it isn't necessary.
2. Can you buy the warranty after it's broken down? (I know about the within 1 year of purchase condition).
3. If I upgrade RAM by myself (from the entry 1gb to 2gb :p), does it void the AppleCare warranty?

Thanks so much! Hope to join you guys soon.

Welcome to the forums!

1. I don't think so, but then if my Macbook breaks, I can fix it myself or send it into a place like Techrestore.com or Macservice.com. To me, it's worth the risk of not paying for it. After all, it's just an extended warranty. I don't buy them on anything else, didn't think I needed to start with this.
2. You can buy it anytime within the 1 year warranty period. After that, you're not eligible.
3. No. RAM is user-upgradeable on the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
1. Yes. I did get it for peace of mind. Partly cause many in this part of the world have no idea about macs (India)

I'd say just get your macbook, upgrade the RAM yourself, and by the end of the year, if you have the cash or feel like it, decide on whether or not to go for applecare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.