Mail.app and image-editing

Reaction score
Two quick questions, hopefully:

Mail.app:

I like to have my emails so that newest is first. However, in this format, when I delete an email, Mail takes me to the *newer* email rather than to the older email. Is there a way to delete so that the cursor goes toward older emails rather than newer?

Is there a way to edit screenshots, grabbing, for instance, only a certain part of the screen once Cmd+Shift+3 is pressed? (I know I'm not supposed to rely on my Windows daze [pun], but in Paint, for instance, I could print screen, paste, then edit the image and select the area I needed. Other than Photoshop, can I do this in Leopard?)

Reaction score
If you press Cmd+Shift+4 you can select only the area you want to capture.

You can also press the space bar after that combination and it'll capture a whole window or the dock or an icon.

If you still need to crop the selection, you can do it in Preview.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ah, okay -- thanks for the information. In general, then, if I want to, say, grey-out a serial number when I'm taking a picture of a device, what software would I use?

Any ideas on the Mail question?

Reaction score
I'm not sure I fully understand your Mail question. It might just be how Mail works.

Gimp is a Photoshop like program that's open source/free.

If you don't want something so fancy, there is Paintbrush.

OP
T
Reaction score
I think Paintbrush will suffice for what I was getting at. Thanks!

It could be how Mail operates -- I wasn't sure if it was changeable or not. (If it is, I didn't find a way to do it.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.