Removing display springs from MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Well i love my macbook pro but the way the screen bows is ridiculous. I have measured the gap before the spring tension kicks in and the bowing effect is non existent. Im positive that getting rid of the spring that pops the display up would fix the problem completely.

Does anyone do this? If not why? If there is any possible way please point me into the right direction. Searches have yielded nothing.

And don't try to tell me i need the springs, none of my other notebooks have them and its not a big deal to lift the display on your own.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are no dedicated springs that pop the display up when you release the latch. That action is part of the tensioner's job on the hinge. Without that tensioner, you'd have no way of keeping the screen in place at the angle you want it.

EDIT: Actually, after referencing the service manual, the tensioner is integrated into the hinge assembly. So, you either have a hinge or you don't ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh... Thats unfortunate. I wish someone would come out and make a new hinge that tensions all the way down but it just doesn't get springy on the end. I don't really understand how it turns from a spring action to a smooth tension action. (If that makes any sense) lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Oh... Thats unfortunate. I wish someone would come out and make a new hinge that tensions all the way down but it just doesn't get springy on the end. I don't really understand how it turns from a spring action to a smooth tension action. (If that makes any sense) lol

Think of it like this. Straighten out a paperclip. Now, fold it in half. Can you make it fold exactly in half so that the two ends touch? In order to do so, you have to fold it beyond the half-way point and then you have to stretch it back out slightly.

If you were to try to fold it completely in half without bending it past the half-way point, it would have just a little bit of spring to it, until you bend it past half-way. That's the principle that the lid uses to give it the "springy" action you're referring to. The latch retains the lid, storing the potential energy until it is released.

Does that make sense without sounding too much like a lesson in physics?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.