XP on an Intel MacBook

Reaction score
I'm looking at installing Windows XP Professional x64 edition on my 13' Intel Macbook. I've read PLENTY of articles saying it is possible through bootcamp on Macbook Pro, but none specifically mentioning MacBook.

I've upgraded to 4GB ( I know only 3gb is 'addressable' to the OS but I thought I'd get matched pairs because I wanted the performance gain, and because I got a good deal (http://www.crucial.com/uk/)).

The only reason I ask is because I've tried installing Windows XP 64 and it won't run past the installer on reboot. The new partition exists, the installer completed in 'DOS view' but won't reboot to complete the install actually inside XP.

All I'm receiving is the bland error message:

Press any key to continue install...
'Disc Error'

Any suggestions?

Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, its the OEM system builders version (not a cheap dell / hp disc, the proper thing) and its Service Pack 2c.

I've been reading up and other forums have said I might need to use a 'hidden' bootcamp version on the actual Apple Install disc. This was in relation to the new Intel iMacs being shipped with this 64bit bootcamp installer...

No ideas yet? Anyone? PLEASE? :D

Reaction score
sorry, i can't help you with hidden bootcamp version. the win xp sp2 loaded without problem on an mbp without doing anything to bootcamp or leopard.

hopefully someone else will come on that can help

OP
B
Reaction score
Hurrah.

After some considerable tweaking, I have it working. Instead of following the apple manual (which does state in older versions that 64 bit OS are not supported) I used bootcamp 2.0 to create the partition, but rather than select 'leave partition as it is', I reformatted it under the Windows XP installer to FAT32 (I chose to do this because I want the same files to be accessed between both OS)

Hope this helps any other users, feel free to ask questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.