Virtual PC

J

jdmtampa

I am rather new to Macs and need to use my dreaded PC for several applications for business and have been reading about Virtual PC - my question to the more experienced folks is - is Virtual PC the answer? Can I use that and divorce my PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
VPC can run almost all programs from windows (does not do heavy graphics programs because it does not support 3D cards) It is slower but can get the job done.

What programs do you need to run on PC that you can't on mac

OP
J

jdmtampa

trpnmonkey41 said:
VPC can run almost all programs from windows (does not do heavy graphics programs because it does not support 3D cards) It is slower but can get the job done.

ACT (contact management). Also I connect to office through MochaSoft with a system authenticator - the Moca comes in Mac but the authenticator only in Windows. I need these 2 bad - I like WinFax too. But I DO LOVE my G5!!!

OP
J

jayde5

Jdmtampa
I was almost in the same situation you are going through...
I have installed Windows xp on my G5 1.8 and increased Ram to 1GB to work it smooth, and it works fine but avoid using the Internet if you want your sys to run smooth in Virtual PC. Disable the restore feature, and avoid running heavy graphical applications and adjust the right setting in Virtual PC List Settings.
Good luck xxx

OP
G

geokar01

Here is a question, if you use the MAC version of Act! will it interface with the PC version your office uses? I am in somewhat in the same boat but am lucky only in the respect that I am the only one using it. So I am just going to buy the MAc version....$175 but I guess I have no choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.5ghz 1.25gb
XPLite on Virtual PC

trpnmonkey41 said:

If you have to install Virtual PC and run XP on it, go to LitePC.com and get their 'XPLite". This amazing gizmo enables you to strip out all the gumph from XP that you may not need because you already have it on Mac (e.g. media player, networking etc). Obviously what you strip out depends on what you need XP to do. But I stripped out a lot of stuff I don't need and it certainly seems to make my cut-down XP run faster on Virtual PC

OP
B

buckie06

I've been wondering the same thing, I need to run AutoCad and was wondering if it will run smoothly with Virtual PC.

OP
B

bpublisher

quick qustion, if i have a powermac G5, 2.7 dual, 3 gb ram, nvidia 6800 gt, nd all that stuff, can I run Half life two, age of empires 3, nd stuff like that on vpc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.