Law students:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
Hello. I'm a somewhat experienced PC/Windows user who just recently caught the allure of Macs. Long story short, a friend asked me to make a wedding slideshow, so I borrowed another friend's Macbook and made one using Final Cut. After that experience, I was sold and I knew that a Mac would be my next purchase.

I'm looking to getting a Macbook Pro and I understand that they've just been updated. Also, I'm watching all the rumors that are circulating concerning the Montevina chipset and the recent news from Intel of its new processor.

Well, here are my questions:
I am expecting to go to law school soon, so I'm looking to purchase a new laptop. So current students, how is your overall experience in law school using a Mac? Do you run all your programs dual-booting XP or is there OSX support?

Also, should I just jump and get the MBP or wait for until Fall 2009 when I actually begin attending school?

TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
It's been many moons since I attended, but here's my two cents.

It used to be that to access LexisNexis or Westlaw (the two primary legal resources), one needed to install special software to access their data server. That's no longer the case, as both companies have gone completely over to a web-based service. Therefore, you shouldn't have any problems using a Mac to access either service.

I can't think of any proprietary software that you would need to be installing on your laptop for law school, and if you did, it may be school specific, so that you should really contact the law school to get information on Mac compatibility.

If it turns out that you do need to run Windows, the Mac OS comes with Bootcamp, which allows you to run Windows and any Windows applications. For example, the California Bar requires you to run Windows when taking the bar exam. The proprietary exam software can be installed on your Windows-installed Mac, and many students in fact have done this.

The only other software you'll need is the word processor. If you like MS Office, the latest Mac version has just been released. If you feel broke from just staring at that tuition bill to come, then download open source software like Neo Office for free.

As for the timing of your purchase, once you enroll in law school, you can get an Apple student discount. If you time it right, you may be able to get a just discontinued Macbook at a steep discount, which some forum members recently did. On the other hand, you don't want to be trying to learn a new computer and software after you start classes. You won't have time to be monkeying around then.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm looking to attend law school in the Fall as well, but from what I can tell and in my experiences with law students, there is absolutely no problem using Macs at law school.

Looks like EORI covered about everything ;P

Reaction score
I am a 1L and made the switch to a mac mid-semester this year. There have been absolutely no problems (and many many students use macs and the school provides mac support also).

I would recommend you make the switch prior to the beginning of law school. I switched in during the spring semester, but think it would have been quite difficult in the fall. I recommend you get the computer enough in advance that you can become comfortable with the operating system and the differences between windows/osx. Your first few months will be crazy enough, no need to add extra stress/anxiety.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be getting my MBP soon since I still have access to my undergrad computer store (my brother is still a student :p).

Thanks again for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Good for you! I hope you enjoy your machine! Although I'm sure you will ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.