Volume Keys not responding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
Every time I try and change my volume it won't go anywhere. If i hit the F4 and F5 volume keys, it just shows the computer at full volume with a little circle and line through it underneath. When I have speakers plugged in they volume buttons work fine but without them in I can't change my volume under system preferences or with the volume buttons. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Try using one of those compressed air cans to spray air into your headphone jack. It's probably dirty/dusty inside.

Reaction score
Switching from external to internal speakers will effect your audio output and volume controls. You need to change it in your audio setup..

applications/utilities/audio midi setup/built in output

your default audio output and properties are probably (aggregated) just change it back to Built-in output and all should be fine!

hope this helps! ;)

Reaction score
Having the same problem

I'm having the same issue that someone listed in this thread. I haven't been using any headphones on my computer lately, or plugged in external speakers. I just turned my MacBook Pro on this morning and was unable to adjust the volume; the exact same thing happens to me as listed above. I went to system preferences and all the options for changing sounds are faded - I am somehow locked out of making any adjustments. Ideas? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try to reset the PRAM / NVRAM. Follow the instructions in this Apple KB article and post back results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.