Some questions on Apple TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MPB - Base Model
1) Does Apple TV work with an SDTV? (In this case, a Toshiba 26AF45C)

2) Can it be plugged into a VGA Monitor instead of a TV?

3) Does it require an AirPort Express or Extreme, or can it use my Linksys router?

4) Can it sync with my iTunes/iPhoto libraries, or do I have to add the content to its hard drive?

5) Is it really worth it? Why don't I just connect my MBP to my TV and use FrontRow?

Reaction score
1) Not sure
2) Not sure
3) I have mine using a Linksys router.
4) It syncs up with itunes/iphoto if you want it view pictures.
5) IMO not yet. With cable having ondemand video there is no reason to have the apple TV unless you want an easy way to see youtube, pictures and such on your TV.

Right now it blows as far as video releases go. There aren't a ton of titles and the ones that are there are older titles. IMO Apple/Movie studios really need to get their act together on this one. The new movie releases on Apple TV should be the same as what Cable sells at the very lease. Until that happens it is rather worthless IMO. Too bad I found out the hard way. :(

For an Apple product I am really disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
1. Yes it is
2. No
3. Yes you can use your router
4. Yes/No. It will sync your whole itunes library but you have to upload your pictures to the apple TV HD
5. YES! For 230 it is very worth it! I have my entire iTunes library on my HDTV now. It's awesome! And now with renting and buying movies/TV shoes right from your itunes it makes it all worth while!

I love it and would highly recommend it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
If you are into any video podcasts at all it is completely worth it. This feature alone made my 329.00 purchase worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
If you are into any video podcasts at all it is completely worth it. This feature alone made my 329.00 purchase worth it.

I just bought one today for this reason. It is fantastic watching diggnation on my Vizio. Hard to beat for the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Best 230.00 i ever spent for my home theater.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
I just bought one today for this reason. It is fantastic watching diggnation on my Vizio. Hard to beat for the price.

I can't get enough of Tekzilla. It's the closest thing to "the old TechTV" as you can get, the only thing missing is Leo Laporte. I need more. I wish itunes had all the earlier episodes, they only offer the last 5 full episodes. I guess the only way to see the first 20 or so is online at there web site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4Ghz, BlackBook 2.0 Ghz, iBook G4, 8Gb iPhone, AppleTV, 80 Gb Video iPod 3 Nanos and 1 Shuffle
When I first bought mine I didn't think it was really worth the price. But now that I have ALL my media converted to MP4 and sitting on a fat ole media server I'd have to say yea it's worth it. I bought one of the first ones too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
4. Yes/No. It will sync your whole itunes library but you have to upload your pictures to the apple TV HD
This was the case initially, but I'm now able to view any of my photos whether they're synced to the AppleTV hard drive or not. However, I think the screen saver will only use synced photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.