Network Drive Shortcut on Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Hello everyone...I need help. How to I create a shortcut of a Folder on a network drive on my desktop. I currently have a Mac Pro running Leopard. I tried draging it to my destkop but would just disappear. I also tried the Control/Alt and drag but it would just copy the whole folder to my desktop. Is there a way to create a shortcut or map the drive form my desktop to the drive? Please advise.

Thanks
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Try Make Alias and drag that icon to your desktop.

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply...where do I find Make Alias? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
right click on the drive and select Make alias

But I tend to just drag the disk in to the dock and keep the link there

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's strange....I right click on the drive but I dont' have the option to Make Alias.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Hold down the Command and Option keys, then drag the volume or folder icon to the desktop (or wherever you'd like the alias to be.)

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried holding down the command and option key then dragging it to my destkop but when I let go it creates a folder and it starts copying all contents from the network folder to the my desktop. Is that what it is supposed to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I tried holding down the command and option key then dragging it to my destkop but when I let go it creates a folder and it starts copying all contents from the network folder to the my desktop. Is that what it is supposed to do?
Not if you're holding down the command and option keys, at the same time, before you begin dragging, and do not release them until after you've completed the drag.

You should see a fat, curving black arrow as the mouse pointer as soon as you begin dragging. You should not see a green + symbol next to the mouse. It's pretty unmistakable.

What kind of network drive is this?

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the late reply, its a Windows network folder. I have successfully connected my Mac Pro to the Windows network without the use of third party software. I can access the printers and folders. When I press on the option key and click on the drive/folder. I only get the + sign symbol. I thought dragging the folder would help but it seems that it just tries to copy everything in it to my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
From the Finder Menu, Preferences, put a check in the box that reads Connected Servers, and it'll pop an icon on the desktop when you connect to shared Windows drives

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah...I didn't read your post correctly and for that I am sorry. You said Option Keys, ( which to me would signify the Option/alt and the key with the small apple icon on it right? So then I would have to hold all three keys then click on the drive and drag it to my desktop. I tried it and it worked. :) Thank you very much....:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.