plug in and go???

O

officehelper

Well thats what they said and now I'm sitting here with our brand new g4 plugged into our network and it's not configuring correctly. it keeps giving me a 169. ect ip address when it should be 192.

anyone have any idea why this is happening and what i need to do?

I already checked the cord, it works fine in one of our other computers, just not the new ones.

appreciate it

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do you have dhcp turned on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
try using the built-in help to get started:

Select Mac OSX help and browse the topics on networking (specifically PC to mac networking if that's the environment you're in)

Normally activating DHCP should do it though (as mentioned above):

go to system preferences ->networking.

There select built-in ethernet and in the TCP/IP tab, look at the drop down menu for 'Configure IPv4'.

In that menu select 'using DHCP', which basically means that your server will assign your mac a IP address automatically and you'll be done!

OP
O

officehelper

Dhcp is on because it's woorking on another new emac in the building. i somehow got connected, and i'm using my new emc now but i can't figure out why it keeps kicking me off the server after about 10 min.

thanks for the help though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'd check for an inactivity time out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.