Stop MacBook Pro from logout

Reaction score
I just got my first Mac (MacBook Pro). I am very happy with it since I spent over $3000 on it. That 4 GB of RAM bumped the price up a lot. Anyways. Whenever I leave for a few hours I get an error message saying that it failed to log out because Firefox was unable to quit. Is there any way to stop this?

From what I am thinking, if I were to log out of OSX, would I just go to the login screen where I can re-login how it works with windows XP? or does logging out mean all program close and then you log out?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Brian Stoiber

Reaction score
If you go to Apple Menu - Force Quit (or Command - Option - Escape) and force quit Firefox, then you should be able to log out.

Yeah, you are right. When you log out you get a Windows XP like login screen, click your username and enter password.

OP
B
Reaction score
ok, but can I log out without having to close all the programs like I could do with XP? Then just log back in and and still have everything open that i left open?

Reaction score
You should be able to as it works fine for me normally, but Firefox may not have been responding at the time, in which case you would need to force quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
ok, but can I log out without having to close all the programs like I could do with XP? Then just log back in and and still have everything open that i left open?

If you log out of Win, it also closes all apps.
You probably mean locking the computer?

To do that, click on your name on top right and choose Login Window ...

Reaction score
Sorry I think I must have misread your post :Oops:

Apps quit themselves when you log out, but don't reopen on login.

To have certain apps open at startup, the click on the icon in the dock and select open at login. Otherwise go to System Preferences - Accounts, click your account and add a new login item.

To lock the screen, go System Preferences - Security - Require password to wake this computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.