Mac equivalent for Serif Page Plus DTP

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought an iMac last week (20" 2.4). I am still getting my head round it after years of Windows but am very pleased!

I think I have found all I need to happily switch except for a Desk Top Publisher to match Serif's Page Plus which is easy to use, powerful and cheap.

I have had a good dig around but haven't found anything - yet.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

wint

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you tries apples pages, seems very good to me

If you want open source software there is Scribus

http://www.scribus.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
I can't say I'm using it now, but I used to. RSG (Ready, Set, Go) is one option, sells for $175 or so Link

Reaction score
Greetings

I still use Serif software - under Parallels. After some attempts with other bits and pieces, this seemed the simplest option. Saves all that 'new learning curve' scenario.....

Cheers Mitcherooney

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I do like Serif and have been thinking about Parallels - or VM Ware, not sure which. The forums seem to be almost equally divided with strong opinions. Two chaps at work have Macs, one uses Parallels and the other VM, both prefer theirs for the same reasons!!

I guess I will go for the cheapest :) - plus a bit more reading.

All the best.

wint

Reaction score
I, too, have retained my Serif software using Parallels and everything works fine. It would annoy me more if this were the only legacy software I need but I also use others including MS Money for which I have never found a replacement anywhere remotely as good.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've seen many comments regarding MS Publisher not being available for the Mac, but Serif Page Plus is not near as popular. I own both programs for Windows and other than the fact that PP is less expensive than MS Publisher, I have never been intrigued with it.

Having said the above, I encourage you and anyone else who uses PP or MS Publisher to try iStudio Publisher currently being sold at the Mac App store for $17.99. I have converted all our bulletins and flyers over and couldn't be more pleased with the results.

As for MS Money... well, even Microsoft has abandoned it. Too bad as it was a great program.

C

chas_m

MS Publisher was widely REVILED in the print world (way beyond simply hated) and I wish I had a buck for every time I heard a colleague describe it as the "Front Page of print" or "the fastest way to make words and pictures look hideous."

The suggestion that Serif Page Plus was actually inferior (I've never heard of SPP) makes my mind go blank.

MS Money OTOH was a very good program, because it was doing what MS does best.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The suggestion that Serif Page Plus was actually inferior (I've never heard of SPP) makes my mind go blank.

Not really inferior in what it could do but in my opinion, less user friendly. In other words, more difficult to use. But less expensive than Publisher. In any event as I have stated before, iStudio Publisher is a great program for the price and it does everything both Publisher and PagePlus could do. It's a great program for an amateur desktop publisher wanna be like me. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.