Power Mac G5 Memory Upgrade Problem - Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Mem
Hello.

My PowerMac G5 originally had four 512mb DDR2 SDRAM PC2-4200. Apple Brand making 2g total.

I wanted to upgrade my memory and I bought two 1g Kingston DDR2 SDRAM PC2-4200. 1.8v from Mac Mall.

After installing the memory, (1g memory in slot 0,1 and four 512bm in 2,3,4,5)

However, during the first boot up, I felt it was actually little bit slower than before the upgrade, but I thought it was just me.

It's been about two weeks and I had about 5 critical crashes.
Before the upgrade, I had maybe 2 crashes in nearly two years.

I just had (like 10min ago) another crash when I was watching a video from YouTube and running Roxio Toast.

I removed two 1g memory that I added and I could notice my G5 is faster even just opening the safari.

Now.. please.. what did I do wrong? or what do you guys think is the problem?

The system profiler status for my memories were "OK" even with the new memory chips in...

help....!

Reaction score
I think you biggest problem is you're mixing 1GB RAM and 512MB RAM sticks. The machine dosn't like that. Try running just the 1GB RAM sticks solo and see what happens. It should run as fast as when 512MB is installed solo. I'm pretty sure you can't mix them.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Mem
I think you biggest problem is you're mixing 1GB RAM and 512MB RAM sticks. The machine dosn't like that. Try running just the 1GB RAM sticks solo and see what happens. It should run as fast as when 512MB is installed solo. I'm pretty sure you can't mix them.

I thought about that too and I ordered two more 1g rams.

I will post again after I try with 4 1g rams...

thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.