To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Well... I can buy my firt MacBook Pro tomorrow... or I can wait till the supposed update in June. I want it for the summer though, and I can expect a late update in late June or early July, and that is 1/3 of the summer already gone. Then I would need to wait for shipping... get home and all that wonderful stuff. But, the main question is, if I buy a MBP right now... and treat it like a baby like I will, will the resale value be enough and worth it to just sell it once the new MBP's come out if I really want to update (I won't need to if there is no layout/design change that I really don't want...), to just lose like $400 or something... It would be like paying $400 more the day I buy my MBP for a better MBP. That true? or am I being too optimistic with the resale value of a 3 month old computer (if I even would want to upgrade IF there are really nice updates, so that is taking a chance at waiting for something I may not even need... when I could just get it NOW! Instagratification! :D )? Sorry for the long post... Thanks in advanced for your input!

Reaction score
Of course there is no guarantee, but you likely would be able to re-sell the MBP for at least $400 less of the purchase price. Possibly even more. So if having it now, then getting the newest thing is worth a $400 hit, I say go for it.

I just sold a mac mini with 19" Samsung LCD monitor for $770. I paid $799 for the mini and $300 for the monitor about 2yr ago. So I sold that for only $330 less than I paid 2yr ago. Macs seem to retain resell value very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
never wait for the updates. you can wait for the updates over and over and over again. If you NEED a new computer then by it now. if you dont NEED a new computer then wait.

its very easy to get stuck into the loop of waiting for updates. and even if you do wait for this new update and then buy it, in a few months another update will be released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Don't wait. By June or July, there will be another update on the horizon in the autumn. It never ends...

Also use the student discount or buy refurb. If you sell, the amount between the sale price and the purchase price will be negligible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I wouldn't wait. If you want it for summer use, I wouldn't hold my breathe for a June release. There won't be any big advancement in technology come summertime. The update processor technology with the new trackpad was big but not all that significant. Next update won't see much IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There just WAS an update to the MacBook Pro, no? Faster processor, bigger hard drives, new trackpad stuff. Quite a nice overall update. Don't wait. The next upgrades will be to the iMac and the Mini in my opinion. These are the only two members of the line up that have not seen recent updates.

OP
ogacon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys... you made me feel better about wanting to buy it now :) Soon... I'll have it and I'll post pics of the beautiful machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good stuff.

once you have ordered it and your waiting for it to arrive, you can look at some lovely accessories for it, if your going to be using it on your lap i recommend buying the lapinator as that reduces a most if not all of the heat from your legs.

OP
ogacon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is that a generic term? or do you have a link to it? Thx :)

edit: with 5 seconds of being unlazy, i found it! :D haha... go me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol there are a lot more choices aswell, i went into a lot of research and although there are better looking alternatives they are much bigger and a lot more expensive.

You might also want to consider getting a trackpad protector after using mine for only two months i started seeing the shiny spot because id polished the plastic down. so i went out and got a skinstyler protector uploaded my own design got it and installed it with no problems whatsoever.

http://www.skinstyler.com/

Also you might want to check out some bags. i went out and got a nice booq bag just because these are bags ive always liked they are very well made and good looking i think, i got the red mamba pack

http://www.booqbags.com/

even though the bag provides a lot of protection i also bought a nice tight sleeve to protect it from scratches etc i got mine from

http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

Some other things i bought were screen cleaners etc, hope my info helped you a little

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.