DVD-RW's and PB superdrives - whats the story?

J

jamminjarjam

I bought a whole load of dvd-rw's (Hewlett Packard) and my powerbook (titanium superdrive - Feb 2002) spits them out in a very rude and annoying way!

I have never updated my superdrive firmware and am not sure whether I should or not. Apple are not very helpful and suggest I use their (expensive) media.

Also, while I am at it, I have a 10GB movie (used iMovie) and its looking like I am going to have to use 3 dvd's (ie 4.7GB each) - is there a way to get round this? I wouldnt mind losing a bit of quality . . . but come to think of it, how is it that you can buy full films of 120mins etc on dvd?

Can anyone advise please?

Thanx!

OP
I

iSheep

Are you sure they're DVD-RW? If they are DVD±RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R then they aren't really accepted.

Films use layering technologies, so they layer a DVD on top of another DVD. You can see the jump as it jumps between layers when half way through a movie sometimes. DVD layering may never make it to consumer level because of new technologies such as Bluray.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Consumer dvds are 4.7 gb

Film producers have access to 8.5gb and 10.2 gb discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually dual layer dvd burners are already available for around $100 in most electronic stores.

They can store 2 regular dvd layers on one side (i.e. 9,4 GB I think)

Theoretically you can actually have 2 layers on each side of the dvd, but then you'd have to flip it over....

OP
J

jamminjarjam

iSheep said:
Are you sure they're DVD-RW? If they are DVD±RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R then they aren't really accepted.

Hi - yeah, they're def DVD-RW's . . . can write DVD-r's no problem . . . do you think I should update my firmware? kind of temped to do the cynikal challenge . . . http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

so - am I right in thinking that I should be able to use these DVD-RW's? perhaps I should update firmware - I shouldnt have to irreversibly alter my superdrive a la cynikal to use dvd-rw's should I?

cheers :)

OP
I

iSheep

Can you show us the product on Amazon? I didn't even know that HP made discs!

The firmware really should not a be a problem, the DVD-RW format has been a standard since the very first DVD-R PowerBook.

OP
J

jamminjarjam

iSheep said:
Can you show us the product on Amazon? I didn't even know that HP made discs!

The firmware really should not a be a problem, the DVD-RW format has been a standard since the very first DVD-R PowerBook.

Sorry man! Packard Bell not Hewlett Packard!! What is that I heard about us not actually seeing 90% of the things around us when (we think) it is familiar? - doh. Anyhow, here's a snap . . .

Image(156).jpg

OP
I

iSheep

Nasty pieces of work those, I bought a few DVD-Rs from them. Two of them don't work. The rest burn all right, but a couple of them stutter when played in TV DVD players. Heard so many other problems with them, I guess they really just suck.

I'm using Verbatim, I got a 25 pack of DVD-R, I'm nearly through it and not a single problem.

OP
J

jamminjarjam

Fair enough - I have no problem with various dvd-r either - but what about dvd-rw? do/can you use them at all?

OP
J

jamminjarjam

iSheep said:
I've used DVD-RW before and it worked fine.

have tried a few other makes of dvd-rw at my local store and they get spat out as well . . . .

Does anybody know what might be up? do I need to update my firmware? this is a titanium PB bought in Feb 2002 and hardware has never been updated in any way - memory, superdrive, nothing . . . ?

Cheers

: )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.