Can someone please help me understand Time Capsule

Reaction score
Ok So I was just wondering is Time Capsule basically a Airport Extreme/External Hardrive. Is it just used for backing up files on your computer or can you use it as a external as well to access any file on your Time Capsule Wirelessly? What is the speed on it? 5400? 7200? Anyone know?

Anything will help. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, it's essentially an Airport Extreme with a built in hard drive. You can use it as a network drive similar to how you would with a hard drive connected to the USB port on an Airport Extreme. You can also use it for network Time Machine backups.

With the sizes available, I think it's safe to assume that Time Capsules use 7200RPM drives.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Of course, if you already have an external drive, you can now use it as a wireless Time Machine drive thanks to the new Airport Extreme update (released Tuesday).

PS I know it sounds crazy, but Apple has my house bugged. Whenever I finally cave and buy an Apple product, they update it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15", 2Gigs RAM, Leopard - 10.5.6, purchased Dec 10, 2007
PS I know it sounds crazy, but Apple has my house bugged. Whenever I finally cave and buy an Apple product, they update it.

Same here. I just bought the time capsule because I was unable to backup wirelessly. But it is not working well anyway. I haven't backed up in ten days because it won't connect or stay connected. I might have done better getting the Extreme (I have the Express, which isn't doing anything right now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 2GB RAM Leopard
I plan on purchasing the 1 TB TC for my MBP. I do not plan on using it for time machine, but as a shared network hard drive. Can anyone speak to its speed in regards to viewing media and or cross platform compatibility? Basically, I would like to use it to house all of my libraries of music, videos, and pictures. Any objections as to why this would be problamatic?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.