• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IN need of some advice

T

trutildeath

i know you guys have heard this one a million times, i'm crrently a pc user and it's becoming quite frustrating ,it's so unstable with windows XP, i do a lot of video editing and photoshop work, i have never been able to be very stable with this OS, but i still cannot get a clear cut winner on this matter,mostly it's people claiming their computer is better but never explaining why?
MAC OR PC i ,need stability for my system, i know some of you also have pc's
i was hoping i could get some opinions from you guys that arn't bias either way for a stable computer, thank you :mac:

OP
C

ChicoWeb

You can have a stable OS in both really. It just depends what kind of software and how caring you are of your OS. I run both operating systems and they both crash equally as much. My PC can stay on for 2+ weeks at a time, and thats working 8-12 hours a day, 6 days a week,and my g4 desktop will match it.

OP
P

pixel_

Well, I've heard that MACs do not crash which I know is bs. Not saying that it's not a stable system, but you know.

Anyway I don't have a mac yet, hopefully to get an ibook soon. I use the Sony Vaio desktop and I run xp. Now, I have photoshop and my comp runs it w/ ease. I don't know what kind of answer you were looking for, but I just gave you my feedback for the xp OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
pixel_ said:
Well, I've heard that MACs do not crash which I know is bs. Not saying that it's not a stable system, but you know.

Anyway I don't have a mac yet, hopefully to get an ibook soon. I use the Sony Vaio desktop and I run xp. Now, I have photoshop and my comp runs it w/ ease. I don't know what kind of answer you were looking for, but I just gave you my feedback for the xp OS.

If you don't have a Mac, how can you know how stable it is or not?

There isn't an OS that never crashes, but by my own experience with both worlds, Mac OS X definitely is the one that crashes the least.
And I'm not talking about somethin I've heard or read, but my own first hand experience, both with Win9x/ME/2k/XP and Mac OS/OS X.
Windows XP has become very stable, I admit, and it's the best Windows until today. But nevertheless, it's still more vulnerable to bad programming than Mac OS X.
In Mac OS X, an application crashes, you force quit the app, restart the app, and that's it. I never had a program giving me a kernel panic.
For WinXP it's different... some programs can be terminated without shutting down the system, but there are still too much cases where you need to reset the PC because that's the only way to make it respond again... Yes, this can and will happen in OS X too, but really very rarely compared to Windows.

OP
T

trutildeath

yeah i was just looking for opinions on them both i run xp now and it sometimes runs ok ,but othertime it's garbage witch sucks,i was just looking for something as a workstation with a lot of stability more than tinkering ability, and mostly looking to run good programs lik FCP and adobe programs and i guess mac would be the place to go for that ,but i wanted some opinon's on stability for both i'm probley considering more of a mac at this time but i don't want to rule out a pc before i spend a ton of money on a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
If you can afford it, keep them both. That's what I did. After a while, you'll notice that your PC usage will lessen with time...
I've bought my PowerMac G4 at the end of last year, before I was just playing around with some old Macs (which i still have and they still work perfectly). Since then, i rarely used my PC anymore, and to be honest, i think i didn't even turn it on since about 4 months... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.