Dual Displays & Sleep Mode

Reaction score
Forgive me for not being too specific with this problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had something similar.

I have a MB Pro that I have hooked up an external monitor to. I run both screens at the same time without a problem.

However, at night, I put the computer to sleep and close the lid. About 5-10 minutes later, I will inevitably hear my AIM sounds. The computer wakes itself up or something.

But, even stranger, when I go back to check on it, I only get a display on the external. My actual laptop screen will not show anything until I reboot.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
If you connect a macbook to an external screen with the lid open you will get a display on both screens. if you then close the lid of the macbook the system will go go sleep. If you then press a key on a USB keyboard etc.. this will wake the system even though the macbook screen may be closed and it will use the external monitor only, this is what people do when they only want to use the external monitor.

It sounds like something is waking your macbook up and because this id is closed it is only using the one screen. with my macbook, if i then open the screen it will not detect the macbook, I have to go into systems pref>displays and click the detect displays button and this sorts it out.

I hope this helps

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
If I'm not mistaken, simply moving your mouse with the lid closed will wake your Macbook from sleep.

OP
J
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, simply moving your mouse with the lid closed will wake your Macbook from sleep.

That's what I thought, so I turned off my BT mouse last night. Still woke up.

Reaction score
Just so you know, I've been having some strange problems with my mac and external displays.

Sometimes it won't sleep, even though the lid is closed. If I reboot it while connected to an external display, it doesn't properly recognize the external display.

Just wondering if maybe there's a bigger problem with this. BTW, I'm running 10.5.2 on a Santa Rosa MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
I think there is a bigger problem too and it is getting really frustrating. I have found about 10 threads on other boards, apple support as well.

Basically, I just noticed this 2 days ago, but haven't used TV out for quite awhile, as far as I can tell, it has to do with 10.5.2, apple knows about it, but no fix has been issued.

**Please help if you can**

As of now, I can't connect my MBP to ANY external source (tv/montor) detect displays just doesn't work.

Are more people having this problem?
I have run the Leopard Graphic update 1.0 (after this issue, to try and resolve, but it didn't work)

OP
J
Reaction score
I may have found something out.

1) Have laptop connected to external monitor. Laptop is flipped open.
2) With laptop open, press power button and choose to sleep.
3) Laptop goes to sleep. External goes dark.
4) Close laptop.
5) Once I hear the click, the external recognizes the computer and turns on.
6) If I open the laptop again, its screen will be dark.

The only solution so far is to press sleep and close the laptop really quickly....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
But my external is not ever being recognized. I have tried 3 different ones

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.