clean harddrive install help 10.3/10.5

Reaction score
i just bought a clean harddrive. i tried installing leopard on it at first, but apparently i only have the upgrade version (i didnt know that there was a difference) and it wouldnt let me go anywhere because it couldnt find a previous version on my computer.

so i tried putting a panther install disk in, but now im just getting that grey screen with the blinking question mark folder. is that because i panther doenst run on macbook or is there just someting wrong with my drive?

am i totally being stupid? ive never done a clean install before. i might be doing it all wrong. ive upgraded, but never clean install.

thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Did you hold the "c" key while booting from the Panther install disk?
If you haven't initialized the HDD yet, you can do so thru the Panther cd.
With the Install disk, go to the menu bar and select Utilities-Disk Utility. (after selecting language)
You should see your new HD there and be able to initialize it. (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
After install, the upgrade cd should work.

Reaction score
Panther isn't going to run on a MacBook. Panther was created before anyone thought about running Intel chips like the ones in your MacBook. If you bought your 'Book during the transition phase between Tiger and Leopard, then it was shipped with a full Tiger installation disk and a Leopard upgrade. If you install the Tiger OS, your new drive will then accept the Leopard upgrade.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Sherman Homan is correct. I didn't notice you mentioned a MacBook. :[
Rep point to you Sherman! :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have my tiger disks at the moment, that's why I rustled up the old panther ones from the bowels of my house. Thanks for our help though.

But now, I face a new problem.
The install disk is stuck in the computer. Is there a force eject I can do because every time I try to turn it on, it just tries to load the disk and ignore my "ejecting"

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Try: "hold down the mouse key on start-up" (thanks louishen!)

--<This answer brought to you by the Mac-Forum Search feature!>--

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you purchase a full retail install DVD of Leopard as the upgrade may well be a grey model specific disc. Full retail version are black colored.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.