• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Typing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
How many of you guys can "Touch Type" I have always just used four fingers, trouble is that you have to look at the keyboard, I did start to do an online course but its so hard I dont tink I will carry on.

It seems to me that not many can touch type, ever IT guys still seem to use just a few fingers:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X VERSION 10.4.9 450 MHz PowerPC G4 768 MB SDRAM
I use four fingers and my thumb for space bar and
need to look at keyboard =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
I use just two first fingers and thumb on the space bar:

I nver maje any mistokes!

lol

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
It will be interesting to see if anybody on here can "touchtype"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I learned how to type on a manual typewriter. No joke. I can touch type like a champ. Now I can't do numbers without looking at the keyboard, nor can I do symbols, but text flows like water. Based on the test at the link below, I have a speed of 57 wpm. ^_^

speed
57 wpm
233 cpm

accuracy
cpm: 97%
wpm: 100%

http://www.testmytyping.com/typing-speed-test.php

About ten years ago I tried to use a Dvorak layout. Logistics kept me from using it long term, but I learned all of the key positions and was probably up to 20 wpm. "Logistics" means I had to constantly switch keyboard mapping from US to Dvorak as my wife and I used the same computer at home; the annoyance of doing so made me drop the Dvorak keyboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I learned how to type on a manual typewriter. No joke. I can touch type like a champ. Now I can't do numbers without looking at the keyboard, nor can I do symbols, but text flows like water. Based on the test at the link below, I have a speed of 57 wpm. ^_^

speed
57 wpm
233 cpm

accuracy
cpm: 97%
wpm: 100%

http://www.testmytyping.com/typing-speed-test.php

About ten years ago I tried to use a Dvorak layout. Logistics kept me from using it long term, but I learned all of the key positions and was probably up to 20 wpm. "Logistics" means I had to constantly switch keyboard mapping from US to Dvorak as my wife and I used the same computer at home; the annoyance of doing so made me drop the Dvorak keyboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
Thats good, wish I could type that fast, and without looking is the best bit I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I can touch type as well. Used to be a lot faster, but I also used to do a lot more coding.

Speed:
57 WPM
243 CPM

Accuracy:
CPM: 95%
WPM: 93%

Not too bad.

Reaction score
I learned to touch-type on an Underwood 5, and at my peak hit 85 wam on it. However, like mathogre, numbers are hit or miss. Roman numerals, though, are a snap — unless I'm doing long division. :)

Huh? Calculator???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
about the same. Learned on my own.

Reaction score
My skills are kinda like MathOgre's, words are fine, but it's the numbers and symbols that mess me up!

Typing carefully I am 70 wam with 0 mistakes.
Typing fast I am 78 wam with 3 mistakes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah I can touch type, it'll freak people out because I'll be righting something and than someone comes in to ask me something and I turn my head to look and talk to them but continue typing as I look and talk to them lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I assume by touch type you mean not looking at the keys. I can do it, but usually look at the keys. When everyone else was practicing typing in high school, I was playing King's Quest and Oregon Trail, so I'm not very good at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
When everyone else was practicing typing in high school, I was playing King's Quest and Oregon Trail, so I'm not very good at it.

LOL I remember the good old Oregon Trail days.

I am pretty good at touch typing. I know the way i use my hands to type is not considered to be the best way as i dont use my pinky finger on my right hand, oddly enough i use my pinky on my left hand....it makes no sense to me either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Touch typing is easy for me, but then again, I've been typing for quite some time now - I think I got my first computer in 1994, so it's been like fourteen years of hands on experience with a keyboard. Oh, and I use all ten fingers. :D

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Guess I gotta keep working at it

Reaction score
I never look at the keyboard. Just something I dont do. I prefer to watch the screen. But I can look away as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I've been using a computer since I was about 7 years old, and I'm now 21. To touch-type is a skill that has just developed naturally over time. I noticed I was touch-typing at about 16 perhaps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.