What happens if...

I

iSheep

I'm too scared to do it, but, what happens if I drag Macintosh HD to the Trash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Doesn't let you.

Go ahead and try nothing happens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It will display a message that says "DOES NOT COMPUTE!" and begin to make a lound whirring noise, building into a deafening roar. Sparks will shoot out of the CD drive and USB ports. The monitor will blink in odd colored patterns, slowly at first, and then flashing faster and faster. The roaring noise will reach a high-pitched crescendo, and the Mac will explode.

(Actually, it'll say something like "You can't eject the startup device.")

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Doing so may make your monitor explode in a shower of glass. EVEN LCDs, WHICH DON'T CONTAIN ANY GLASS! It may make your children grow horns, and cause the people in your neighborhood to explode spontaneously while doing the Macarena. It will rip out your eyeballs, and eat your soul with a really dull spoon, laughing and cackling while forcing Cheerios up your nose. It will make your intestines explode in a rain of confetti, while evil clowns bite your feet. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
No no no... It will cause the starship Enterprise to come out of the monitor and hover randomly around the room. Then this will happen:

bunnypcak.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Funny people around here... :D :D

Anyway, from a technical point of view:
If you drag a HD-icon from the desktop to the trash, the disk gets just unmounted, not erased. You can remount it using Disk Utility, or reboot the Mac.
Of course, you can't unmount the system disk, as it's currently running...

So don't worry, nothing bad will happen ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
If you drag it to trash it says its currently in use :)

OP
I

iSheep

That's a very good point, I forgot it would just try and dismount it.

Thank you. I'm always very curious. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Heres a pic

Here is a pic of what would happen:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
technologist said:
It will display a message that says "DOES NOT COMPUTE!" and begin to make a lound whirring noise, building into a deafening roar. Sparks will shoot out of the CD drive and USB ports. The monitor will blink in odd colored patterns, slowly at first, and then flashing faster and faster. The roaring noise will reach a high-pitched crescendo, and the Mac will explode.

LOL!!! I got a good kick out of that. Thanks for making my otherwise dull day at work, a little better.
;)

I work at Intel, so I can assure you there are no Macs here. :(

OP
M

m1k

Doing so may make your monitor explode in a shower of glass. EVEN LCDs, WHICH DON'T CONTAIN ANY GLASS! It may make your children grow horns, and cause the people in your neighborhood to explode spontaneously while doing the Macarena. It will rip out your eyeballs, and eat your soul with a really dull spoon, laughing and cackling while forcing Cheerios up your nose. It will make your intestines explode in a rain of confetti, while evil clowns bite your feet. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Originally Posted by technologist

Hah, that's nothing.

Here's what will happen:
You will become impotent for the rest of your life :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.