Installing OS Using Firewire?

Reaction score
If my moniker is to be believed, then I should know the answer to this question -- but I don't.

Could I theoretically install a Mac OS on another Mac using a Firewire port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
MacintoshGeek,

I just downloaded SuperDuper backup and used it today preparatory to changing to a larger hard drive to back up my Macbook. SuperDuper recommends using a firewire external hard drive to back up your Macbook, so that means they expect you to restore your backup (including the OS) using a firewire port.

So theoretically, you could install your OS on another Mac by backing it up from your current machine using SuperDuper (via firewire) and put it on another machine (hard drive) using it via firewire as well.

Long way to say "Yes." :)

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah: You can also just insert the install DVD in a host Mac's DVD drive, put that Mac in target firewire mode by rebooting and holding down the "t" key and then install OS X from that Mac's DVD drive using a firewire cable connected to another Mac.

Reaction score
Yes.

I have copies of Tiger and Leopard on 2 external firewire hard drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.