LAN messenger software - HELP!

Reaction score
Our company is in need of an instant messenger system that is cross-platform friendly. The system needs to work for OS X 10.3 and up, and also Windows 2000 and XP.

Something similar to this: outlookmessenger.com
Outlook Messenger doesn't work with OS X 10.3 :Grimmace:

I can't seem to find anything that meets our OS needs. Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What protocols does it need to conform to? Adium is a multi-protocol IM client. Is that what you're looking for?

Microsoft has a version of Messenger for OS X too... what are you running on your Windows machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I imagine you're looking for a messenger that doesn't communicate OUTSIDE the LAN, correct? Just secure, internal communication?

If so, check out the website called macpopup.com. I found it using a google search for "cross platform LAN messaging".

I haven't installed to test it, but from the descriptions on the page, it appears to be just what you're looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.