How long does your MBP battery charge last?

Reaction score
I got my MBP about 4 months ago and was amazed that it could last 4 hours when fully charged (Energy Savings Mode but Bluetooth and Airport on). But two and a half months later the the most I could get out of it was a little under two hours. coconutBattery says battery is still at 94% total cap. so I'm confused. Is the computer just draining the power faster now? Is two hours of charge actually totally normal for a MBP?

Thanks

On another note: fans always kick in now when battery is charging

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I got my MBP about 4 months ago and was amazed that it could last 4 hours when fully charged (Energy Savings Mode but Bluetooth and Airport on). But two and a half months later the the most I could get out of it was a little under two hours. coconutBattery says battery is still at 94% total cap. so I'm confused. Is the computer just draining the power faster now? Is two hours of charge actually totally normal for a MBP?

Thanks

On another note: fans always kick in now when battery is charging

Batteries are consumable, meaning that over time (depending on how they were cared for), they will lose capacity and eventually need to be replaced. My old MBP's battery lasted about 3:30 when new. After about a year, it went down to 2:00-2:30 (sometimes longer).

My brand new MBP lasts about 5:30 by my estimates. I would imagine that to be degraded significantly in about a year or so.

OP
M
Reaction score
I heard some other threads suggesting getting the battery replaced under applecare warranty. How bad does the battery have to get for this to be an option? I'm guessing my case doesn't apply here but, 94% after only 7 load cycles just seems kinda odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
94% after such a short while is odd. Does apple warranty cover battery life? I've got a three year APP on the iBook and I find the battery life significantly lower than it was (around 4 hours now). Any chance of getting back to the old days?

Also the display has gone really really dim. I can hardly see anything.

Reaction score
Im getting a macbook pro in about a week or two and one thing that I am worried about is the battery life which I hear is shorter than the normal macbook that I currently have.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im getting a macbook pro in about a week or two and one thing that I am worried about is the battery life which I hear is shorter than the normal macbook that I currently have.

Yes, more powerful hardware use more energy. More energy use = less battery life. The current iteration of the MBP uses the new 45nm Penryn processors which are more power efficient than older models, but you still have a larger screen to power and keyboard backlighting and a true video card, so yes, the video life is potentially shorter. I get about 5 hours (presently). I'm sure the Penryn Macbooks will do better than that even.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
94% after such a short while is odd. Does apple warranty cover battery life? I've got a three year APP on the iBook and I find the battery life significantly lower than it was (around 4 hours now). Any chance of getting back to the old days?

Also the display has gone really really dim. I can hardly see anything.

while lower than you like, thats normal. the batteries arent manufactured when you press submit order.

batteries sit for a period of time in the box before you order, could be months.

94% is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Yes, more powerful hardware use more energy. More energy use = less battery life. The current iteration of the MBP uses the new 45nm Penryn processors which are more power efficient than older models, but you still have a larger screen to power and keyboard backlighting and a true video card, so yes, the video life is potentially shorter. I get about 5 hours (presently). I'm sure the Penryn Macbooks will do better than that even.

the MBP are rated by apple for 1/2 hour MORE than the MBs.

im guessing they have a slightly bigger battery thought than the MBs.

im sure battery life has the potential to be sucked up much faster by the MBP with its ded card too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.