Formatting HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.2 Ghz OS 10.4
We have a iMac G4 1GHz 17" flat screen. Recently we've installed a new HD into the computer.

The disk isnt formatted to start up. We can't open the superdrive to install the operating system.

Any suggestions on what we could do? We can't seem to find a way to get the system installed. The computer won't recognise anything.

We also have a Mac Mini and an ethernet connection cable. If there is anything we could do with that.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Was this a working computer before you changed the hard drive? If so you can boot from the DVD and install OS X on it without problem.

Just boot the computer whilst holding down the [C] key this will force the computer to boot from the DVD drive. Once you do that you will be presented with an OS X desktop and the installer menus. You can access disc utility from here and format the new drive. This will prove that the drive is working and from there install your new OS!

as an aside.....

IF YOU MEAN THAT THE DVD DRIVE IS FAULTY.... You can hold down the [T] key and fire up your computer in TARGET mode this will turn your computer into an external firewire hard drive. Now plug this into your other Mac using a firewire cable. You can access the drive just like any other external drive. Format it with 2 partitions and copy the install disc onto partition 2 using disc utility so that it becomes a boot drive. Now start the computer using the [ALT] key and you can install it your OS as usual. You can then sort out your superdrive later....

If you need me to go into more detail with the above I will be happy to but i'm off to bed now as i'm off to work in 6 hours!

OP
Fiona87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.2 Ghz OS 10.4
Thank you so much for you help.

We finally got it working.

Thanks again. I appreciate it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.