Newbie in need of help

F

flex69

Hi all i'm a new mac user as I recently inherited an old imac g3 from work as they were going to throw it out as there is a problem with the graphics on it apart from that it works fine. I have never really used one before apart from setting up my brothers g4 powerbook for him a few years ago. Not knowing anything about mac i never realised that for everything i want to install I would need the admin password. Whoever it was who used to use it is no longer with the company and i have no discs for it either. It has osx 10.2 installed on it. I was looking on a forum as to how to change the password in macs version of dos but I appear to have a problem that also happens when i am using the computer in the operating system where when i go to type passwords certain letters only get typed as capital which is kinda messing things up for me and i am unable to get these letters back to lowercase. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. :ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, the only way to change the admin's password is with the system disk, but as you don't have it, I don't see a chance to change that.
I would suggest that you get the latest OS, Mac OS X 10.3, wipe the hard disc and make a fresh install. Not only is 10.3 faster than any older version (even on the old iMacs), but also making a clean install would solve your actual, and maybe upcoming troubles (due to settings, installed applications and data from the previous user) with your actual OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.