How to add a user

Reaction score
A guy is splitting my computer with me at work (he comes in at night and does some design work). I want to use two separate log in/users so his icons will stop take over my desktop... can someone walk me through how to set up a new user on an existing computer.
thanks
jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
System Pref>Accounts then you should see your login name. Hit "+" and input your admin password (you are the admin aren't you) and add them, give them rights and maybe a password then you are done.

OP
J
Reaction score
so sorry, i did that... i meant how do i get all his existing icons from my user desktop to his newly created desktop??? sorry to not be more clear and thanks so much for the help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
so sorry, i did that... i meant how do i get all his existing icons from my user desktop to his newly created desktop??? sorry to not be more clear and thanks so much for the help.

Your desktop icons are contained in /Users/<username>/Desktop. Or through the Finder, browse to 'Macintosh HD' => Users => <your friend's username> => Desktop. Then, just highlight the desktop icons you want to show up on his desktop, click Edit => Copy, then in the Finder window you just opened, click Edit => Paste. When your friend logs in, they should be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.