• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Transition refuses to be deleted and crashes iMovie HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
As the title says, and I have tried everything - I've trimmed the two clips down to as small as I can but it's the transition tab joining them that refuses to budge. I have tried dragging the lot back into the clips pane, highlighting and deleting and even copying the unfinished movie to a HD but still I get the puff of smoke that just freezes and stays there for a few seconds before i-movie (6) quits unexpectedly - which happens every single time.

I am very keen to hear how I can get rid of this, all I can do is slide it to the end of the timeline and let it spoil the end of the movie.

Advice greatly appreciated.

CR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't recall ever seeing this issue. So here is a random thought that might do more harm than good, or affect no change at all.

AFTER quiting iMovie AND creating a duplicate of the project, you could try removing the transition from the project folder. I noticed the an older iMovie than IM08 rendered the transitions.

Open the project file in Finder by right clicking on the project file and choosing open package. Navigate down to find the Quicktime resources and play each one. When you find the render, delete it using the Finder and empty the Finder trash so that it can not be found. Now open the the iMovie project again and see if it fixed the problem.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
That's not a bad idea... How do I give you a green?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It is only a good idea if it actually works.

To add to someones reputation place your cursor over the botton that looks like double Xs below the persons username for the particular response you think is good or bad.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I don't recall ever seeing this issue. So here is a random thought that might do more harm than good, or affect no change at all.

AFTER quiting iMovie AND creating a duplicate of the project, you could try removing the transition from the project folder. I noticed the an older iMovie than IM08 rendered the transitions.

Open the project file in Finder by right clicking on the project file and choosing open package. Navigate down to find the Quicktime resources and play each one. When you find the render, delete it using the Finder and empty the Finder trash so that it can not be found. Now open the the iMovie project again and see if it fixed the problem.

I haven't been able to find the project folder yet, and I don't have a mouse just a trackpad.

If I open the finder can I get it under CAMERONRYAN?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your project folder is your iMovie file. It is actually a folder with stuff in it. The default I just created is 'My Great Movie.iMovieProject'.

To right click, place the cursor over the iMovie file, press and hold the control key, click the mouse button, release the control key. To see the content choose 'Show Package Contents' from the pop up menu that appears.

Open the Media folder and you'll see your clips in there including the transitions. I just applied the 'Warp Out' transition to my little test and see a file called 'Warp Out 01.mov'. I removed that file and emptied the Finder trash.

You'll get some warnings when you repopen that project in iMovie. Just click through them. Even the one that says your movie will not play back properly.

I applied and then deleted another affect so that I could resave the project. This allowed me to quit, and then reopen it without the error messages.

Remember, I'm not garranteing this is a real solution. It seemed to be fine in my very limited test case. This is why I say BACKUP your project first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.