truth or Speculation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hi Guys,

I have been reading here and there that the 30 inch Apple Cinema LCD is in fact a re-branded Dell and I just came across this article which may have just confirmed it. The tech specs are very similar if not the same.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/hardware/desktops/soa/Dell-3008WFP/0,139023402,339284554,00.htm

What do you think??

Cheers
-J

er... how about, "No"

It is possible that both companies get some components from the same suppliers, in fact even likely, but to say the Apple is a re-branded Dell is somewhat ridiculous.

OP
T
Reaction score
er... how about, "No"

It is possible that both companies get some components from the same suppliers, in fact even likely, but to say the Apple is a re-branded Dell is somewhat ridiculous.

Well I took it form this companies web site!! These guys are official Eizo resellers and would not make that claim publicly if they did not have evidence to back it up!

Here is the web site and the paragraph in question...

http://www.imagescience.com.au/EizoMonitors/eizoFlexscanMonitors.html

If you're considering alternatives like the Apple Cinema Display (actually re-badged Dell screens), make sure you see a properly set up Eizo first (e.g. come and visit us here) - the Eizo panels are far superior and actually generally a bit cheaper too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Considering there are a small number of companies that actually make the actual LCD panels, it's not uncommon to see screens of the same sieze carry the extact same specs.....heck the same can be said for my dual 22" widescreens on my main PC (yah I use those) one's an Acer AL2216W and the other is an HP w22, same specs, right down to contrast ratio and brightness to response time.....so I got curious one day and did some surgury....sure enough, the actual panels carried the same part number, manufacturer and whatnot. and this is why at base settings both DVI driven, look exactly the same.

So in essence, the Apple 30 incher the Dell 30 incher could quite possibly be panel twins but each assembler in this case (Apple and Dell) add their own stuff like casings and controls and whatnot. It happens

OP
T
Reaction score
Considering there are a small number of companies that actually make the actual LCD panels, it's not uncommon to see screens of the same sieze carry the extact same specs.....heck the same can be said for my dual 22" widescreens on my main PC (yah I use those) one's an Acer AL2216W and the other is an HP w22, same specs, right down to contrast ratio and brightness to response time.....so I got curious one day and did some surgury....sure enough, the actual panels carried the same part number, manufacturer and whatnot. and this is why at base settings both DVI driven, look exactly the same.

So in essence, the Apple 30 incher the Dell 30 incher could quite possibly be panel twins but each assembler in this case (Apple and Dell) add their own stuff like casings and controls and whatnot. It happens

Thanks for the info... so one would have to ask ones self... why would you pay more for the Apple with 1 year Warranty when you can get the same panel from Dell for less, with more warranty??

Cheers
-J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you're considering alternatives like the Apple Cinema Display (actually re-badged Dell screens), make sure you see a properly set up Eizo first (e.g. come and visit us here) - the Eizo panels are far superior and actually generally a bit cheaper too!

It sounds like these guys are trying to play on people's beliefs that anything Dell is cheap budget garbage. They're claim is absolutely false and they should remove this comment immediately. I would never believe anything else they say and never consider purchasing from them.

The fact is that the LCD panels in the Dell and Apple 30" monitors are the same, but they're not manufactured by Dell or Apple. It's been a while, but I think they're actually made by Philips.

Knowing that, I also wonder why anyone would buy a Cinema display since the Dell is cheaper and you get more ports, and therefore usability, at a cheaper price. I never checked Dell's warranties, so I would be surprised if it's longer than the standard 1 year.

Isn't Apple planning to be 100% LED by the end of the year anyway? I would wait for a monitor purchase if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It sounds like these guys are trying to play on people's beliefs that anything Dell is cheap budget garbage. They're claim is absolutely false and they should remove this comment immediately. I would never believe anything else they say and never consider purchasing from them.

The fact is that the LCD panels in the Dell and Apple 30" monitors are the same, but they're not manufactured by Dell or Apple. It's been a while, but I think they're actually made by Philips.

That's what I meant, and agreed 100% - suggesting it's a re-branded Dell implies it is manufactured by Dell and then someone slaps an Apple badge on it and 25% to the price.

OP
T
Reaction score
fleurya said:
Knowing that, I also wonder why anyone would buy a Cinema display since the Dell is cheaper and you get more ports, and therefore usability, at a cheaper price. I never checked Dell's warranties, so I would be surprised if it's longer than the standard 1 year.

Well the Dell Warranty here is 3 Year Next Business Day replacement with Zero Dead Pixel Policy!! that is hard to compete with!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Than get the Dell if you like it. They both use the same LCD Panel which is true of a LOT of LCD monitors.

I prefer the looks and design of the Apple but it does cost a lot more. If I were broke I would get the Dell but in no way is Apple's 30" a Dell with a Apple logo.

Excellent info fleurya!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.