Wrong disk space on user account

Reaction score
I have one user account on my Macbook Pro and used the filevault option on the user account as I was new to MAC . Now , when I download any files , I see that the disk space is 98gb out of 100GB . I went into the user account to clear out any movie files and music files to clean my Harddrive and when I get info on the user account , it say's the size is 72 GB , but Once I go into individual folders inside the user account that is under filee vault , the total size of all the folders is not more than 10GB .

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and why is the system taking the rest of the space from ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Run Disk Inventory X to see what it says.

Free download

Create another bogus account and use file vault,...what does the new one say?

OP
S
Reaction score
I ran the utility and the extra 72gb seems to be the sparseimage of the user account . What is this and how can I delete this to get more space on my HDD

OP
S
Reaction score
I deleted the sparesimage and cannot login back into the user account . I am stuck with the laptop as I cannot login . I dont have the restore CD . Is there any way out of this mess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The sparse image was the encrypted accounts contents. Did you empty the trash of the user you were logged in as when you deleted the sparseimage?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.