WiFi not working except at home

Reaction score
I have an unlocked 1.14. Email and web thru Wifi at home to my AEBS works great. I am using IMAP Gmail.

Internet apps thru Wifi anywhere else does not work. I can't access my email or browse websites. Can't figure it out. Errors I get are "Can't find the Server" for Safari and Connection to Server "imap.gmail.com" failed for Gmail.

I do seem to be connecting to a network when I try this, the wifi symbol is on.

Any ideas?

Thanks from Vancouver.

Reaction score
I actually have the same issue with my Ipod touch... Same version as yours but not unlocked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
tangram- When I'm a Wi-Fi area, select "settings"-Wi-Fi. Any usable networks should show up. Select the network. If it has a lock symbol, you'll need a password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If the WiFi network you are trying to attach to is a commercial one (at a Starbucks for example), you likely need to "sign up" first. People who travel on business with a laptop are familiar with the drill. You turn on the machine, startup your web browser and you have to register or log in, and agree to terms (and frequently, payment details).

Only if you do this can you access the net properly. If you do not do this, you see the WiFi signal all right, but you are being blocked by the provider from using it.

I have never tried registering like this from an iPhone, but I presume that the same ideas apply. The WiFi provider doesn't know that you are on an iPhone, not a laptop. So, select a WiFi network from Settings and then start up Safari. You should be redirected to a registration type URL. Once done, you should be "good to go".

BTW, at least in my area, the WiFi at Dunkin Donuts is completely unlocked and available for use without any sign up. Of course it is painfully noisy at most Dunkin' Donut stores, what with all the kids and all...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.