Just got my wife....... Lots of questions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
...... A MacBookAir, She loves it. She had a tiny Sony Vaio (like 9") and I could not get her to switch because she found all the available macs to be to heavy. When the Air came out she fell in love but I convinced her we could not afford it. Yesterday I told her I was going to get myself an AppleTV, When I got home I surprised her with my AppleTV (sad look on her face) and a few minutes later I busted out her pretty little Air. She thanked me greatly later in the day :)

Now I got a few questions. Her little Air has no CD/DVD drive, How do I share mine with hers. I have a 17" MacBookPro. I know I am supposed to be able to set them up so if she needs a drive to install something her Air is supposed to be able to borrow my drive, How? Will it also work in reverse. If she needs to burn something can she also send that to my drive for burning. What do I need to do "O great ones"?

I would also like to know what exactly needs to be don't to link these 2 macs together. Lets say I have a file on my MBP that she wants, how can I make it possible for her to see it on my MBP (no matter where it is) and have her just be able to select it and copy it over to her Air and have it transfer wirelessly and vise versa.

Thanks for all your help guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
1. No direct disc burning support for the macbook air via Remote Disk. You will have to copy those files over to your MBP and then burn them.
To install Remote disk, insert your MBA disk into the MBP and follow instructions (they should be there somewhere).

2. In your menubar, click the Airport icon (the radio one). Create a new network. Then in your Macbook Air, click the Airport icon and select the newly created icon. The computers should then be linked. Just open up a Finder window and you should see your computers on both ends. You will notice once you click on the MBA from the MBP, you can either login as a proper user or share the screen, that is, control the MBA from MBP.

iChat way: Enable Bonjour in iCHat on both machines. Then when you do a screensharing, you can drag and drop files between machines. Files go into the "Downloads" folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
haha...your subject line was killer...i'm sure ppl tht just got their wife do have lots of questions...;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
1. No direct disc burning support for the macbook air via Remote Disk. You will have to copy those files over to your MBP and then burn them.
To install Remote disk, insert your MBA disk into the MBP and follow instructions (they should be there somewhere).

2. In your menubar, click the Airport icon (the radio one). Create a new network. Then in your Macbook Air, click the Airport icon and select the newly created icon. The computers should then be linked. Just open up a Finder window and you should see your computers on both ends. You will notice once you click on the MBA from the MBP, you can either login as a proper user or share the screen, that is, control the MBA from MBP.

iChat way: Enable Bonjour in iCHat on both machines. Then when you do a screensharing, you can drag and drop files between machines. Files go into the "Downloads" folder.

When the announced the Air I could have swore that the said that if you needed to use a disk to install something n the air you could either buy the usb drive or you could borrow a drive from another mac. I want to borrow my MacBookPro drive, are you saying that I need to pop in her disk that came with the Air into my MBP to get the program to make this possible? If so what disk exactly and what program am I looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
When the announced the Air I could have swore that the said that if you needed to use a disk to install something n the air you could either buy the usb drive or you could borrow a drive from another mac. I want to borrow my MacBookPro drive, are you saying that I need to pop in her disk that came with the Air into my MBP to get the program to make this possible? If so what disk exactly and what program am I looking for.

Didn't the MBA come with any literature? I'll bet they document every detail on how to use another Mac's drive somewhere in the papers that came with the Air. I'd think it would be easier than asking people for help on a forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah sure. Like I said, pop in your MBA disk into the MBP to install Remote disk. I'm not sure where exactly you will have to look for it cause I haven't done it myself, but I'm sure it's there. And Remote disk also works on PCs, JFYI.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah sure. Like I said, pop in your MBA disk into the MBP to install Remote disk. I'm not sure where exactly you will have to look for it cause I haven't done it myself, but I'm sure it's there. And Remote disk also works on PCs, JFYI.

Gonna try it now. Thanks a bunch

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't the MBA come with any literature? I'll bet they document every detail on how to use another Mac's drive somewhere in the papers that came with the Air. I'd think it would be easier than asking people for help on a forum.

Im lazy and the people here know almost everything and r so nice. This is just the easiest way to get things done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Im lazy and the people here know almost everything and r so nice. This is just the easiest way to get things done.

lol..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Love the title .....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

When 10.5.2 installed, I found Remote Install had been installed in my Utilities folder on all my Macs. It's for the MBA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah of course. Forgot about 10.5.2...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.