OHCI USB doesn't work in Mac OS 9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, 2x 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160+80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.6, nVidia GeForce 5200FX
Hello,

I am running Mac OS 9 on my beige Mac G3. Because I need/want USB ports on this machine, I bought a Belkin F5U220 PCI card. According to the packaging it supports Mac OS 8.6 and higher.

Unfortunatly, it crashes my Mac during bootup with error 19, and says I should boot without extensions. It even says so when I boot without extensions. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or is this card just incompatible?

The card isn't broken, because it does work on my Linux machine, but I already had a UHCI/EHCI card installed in that.

The card I bought is this: Belkin F5U220. When looking under specs there it also doen't mention Mac OS 9, but just Mac OS X. Still, the packaging said it supported OS 9.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just return this card and get another one?

Reaction score
Hey folks, my mate is running a powermac g4, cant seem to find the relevant desktop box for changing the geometric settings?? have tried the osx and classic environ. the screen overhangs on each end and the boxes are all inverted. We have tried to change the monitor settings to no avail.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, 2x 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160+80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.6, nVidia GeForce 5200FX
Well, I tried that, and it still gives error 19.

I think I am going to visit my local Apple store for a USB card, probably better than just buying one online (but the online manual said it works with Mac OS 8.6 and higher :().

Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Sounds like an extension conflict. Go into the extension manager and trun off
some third party Exs your not useing and see what happens,or find a copy
of conflict catcher. The usb cards with more than two ports are mainy for PCs
look for the two port cards that are usb one standard.

Reaction score
Idaho, USA, Out in the Country Northwest of Boise
Your Mac's Specs
Pismo 400MHz bought for $46
That's Right, OS 9 and under only support USB 1.1

Sounds like an extension conflict. Go into the extension manager and trun off
some third party Exs your not useing and see what happens,or find a copy
of conflict catcher. The usb cards with more than two ports are mainy for PCs
look for the two port cards that are usb one standard.

That's Right, OS 9 and under only support USB 1.1 and I'm not sure which version of OS X added USB 2 High Speed support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.