Correct Copy of XP for Boot Camp...

Reaction score
So I've been searching through this forum trying to find out what the deal is as far as what types of XP SP2 will work with boot camp.

Initially, I thought it just had to be a stand alone XP SP2, and couldn't be the kind that's labeled "For use with a **** computer only" (insert "Dell" or whatever). Also, no system recovery discs.

But now I'm seeing in some places that it can't be OEM, or that it can be OEM. This part is confusing me a little. It doesn't seem like it should matter if it's OEM or not.

Can someone explain the relevance of the OEM part and if it is or is not a requirement?

I'm about to buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=130205750802&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

Is this the right thing? It seems like it should work to me, but I'd like to be certain before dropping $100.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are actually two types of OEM. There's the one you get with retail computers like Dell and HP, and then there's the System Builders version. You can't use the former, but you can use the latter.

What you linked to is the System Builders version, which is what you need. You can also find that version at online retailers in case you don't want to bother with eBay. Here are copies over at Newegg and Amazon

OP
M
Reaction score
There are actually two types of OEM. There's the one you get with retail computers like Dell and HP, and then there's the System Builders version. You can't use the former, but you can use the latter.

What you linked to is the System Builders version, which is what you need. You can also find that version at online retailers in case you don't want to bother with eBay. Here are copies over at Newegg and Amazon

Thanks for the response. I actually already went for the copy on ebay. Looks like I could have saved a few bucks by going with new egg. Oh well...

Reaction score
I was able to use the XP SP2 disk that came with an old HP laptop. It is simply labeled Windows XP SP2 and nowhere does it say it's a restore disk so it is a full copy. It had a serial number built in but Windows wouldn't activate with it, so I had to use the serial number on the bottom of the HP laptop. It activated without a problem. The computer that it came with was 2.5 years old.

OP
M
Reaction score
I was able to use the XP SP2 disk that came with an old HP laptop. It is simply labeled Windows XP SP2 and nowhere does it say it's a restore disk so it is a full copy. It had a serial number built in but Windows wouldn't activate with it, so I had to use the serial number on the bottom of the HP laptop. It activated without a problem. The computer that it came with was 2.5 years old.

I have an XP disk that came with a Dell at some point (not sure which one). It doesn't actually say it's a system restore disk, but it does say for use with a Dell only. I'm not sure how that would have turned out.

Anyway, I have another question. I was reading up on the XP licensing stuff, and saw that you usually cannot move the OEM versions of XP from computer to computer. I am curious to know, though, if I install XP through bootcamp, remove it and restore the hard drive, and then want to install xp again, will my license still be valid since I'm putting it back on the same computer? I would think and hope so, but I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That OEM bit is for the retailer copies, not the System Builders version you bought. That one can be moved as often as you want, as long as it is installed only on a single machine at a time.

Reaction score
Yes. You may have to call the MS line if you get an error message, but when you do they'll ask if its the same computer, you say yes, and they give you a new code. Pretty easy - I've done it.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
Hey hexon, How were you able to get XP installed with that type of disk? because I have a dell disk and a SP2 disk, Is there a way that I can get XP installed then? Because im not getting vista and if I can save money then great!

Reaction score
Hey hexon, How were you able to get XP installed with that type of disk? because I have a dell disk and a SP2 disk, Is there a way that I can get XP installed then? Because im not getting vista and if I can save money then great!

Well, HP was including a FULL copy of XP SP2 back then not an upgrade or restore disk like some computer manufacturers. I bought two HP laptops that year and they both came with the same exact XP disk although the computers were different models.

I mentioned that they also had a built in serial number so that I never had to actually activate those laptops. When I installed one of those copys onto my MBP. it tried to activate using that built in serial number and Windows told me it wasn't valid. I then used the serial number on the bottom of the HP laptop and it activated with no problems. Apparently those serial numbers were different, the one built in and the one on the lable on the bottom of the HP laptop.

That's it, didn't do anything special. I don't use those HP laptops anymore since one of them didn't work anymore and I disposed of it, the other sits here with a smashed screen so my copy of XP is being used on only one computer now, not breaking any laws.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
Do you know of the Dell copies would work equally?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB

Darn, I wish I read this before buying my full install version for over $300 for both home and work. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Do you know of the Dell copies would work equally?

If the Dell copy is a full copy of XP (not a restore copy), then yes, it should work. But like hexonxonx said above, you'll need the key from the label on the Dell machine. Some XP disks seemed to have their own key, but when Dell installed them, they used a manufacturers OEM key, that's why you have to use the key from the original computer. You may find the original "Certificate of Authenticity" on a MS label on the Dell. That's the real key...

I similarly used an OEM copy of XP from an old Dell which I transferred to a home-built computer without any problem, but only after the poor old Dell died :) Just remember to copy the Dell XP key on the sleeve where you keep the install CD so you won't lose it when the Dell goes bye-bye...

Also make sure you've taken XP off the old Dell before you use it in Boot Camp - the MS thing, only one computer per license...

Noel

Reaction score
If the Dell copy is a full copy of XP (not a restore copy), then yes, it should work. But like hexonxonx said above, you'll need the key from the label on the Dell machine. Some XP disks seemed to have their own key, but when Dell installed them, they used a manufacturers OEM key, that's why you have to use the key from the original computer. You may find the original "Certificate of Authenticity" on a MS label on the Dell. That's the real key...

I similarly used an OEM copy of XP from an old Dell which I transferred to a home-built computer without any problem, but only after the poor old Dell died :) Just remember to copy the Dell XP key on the sleeve where you keep the install CD so you won't lose it when the Dell goes bye-bye...

Also make sure you've taken XP off the old Dell before you use it in Boot Camp - the MS thing, only one computer per license...

Noel

That's exactly correct. My XP disk came from an HP and it had a serial number built in. When I tried to activate it, it said the serial number was invalid. I then entered the number from the bottom of the HP laptop and it activated perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.