bought first Mac and need help upgrading it!!!!

Reaction score
hi im charlie, hust bought my first apple, a Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio), 533-MHz PowerPC G4. i would like to upgrade to a dvd drive and burner, and a faster processor so i can run osx 10.5. what all do i need to do, and how easy will it be? how much will it cost? ive already upgraded to 1.5 gb memory. thanks for any help u can offer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD G4 Dual 1Ghz 1.75GB RAM 120GB HDD Radeon 9000Pro 20" Acrylic Cine
Well, for starters, on processor upgrades, there are actually quite a few options and solutions for you out there. The very first place I would check is Other World Computing. Their prices may seem higher than some, but they have first class products and service. Processor pricing starts at $175 for a 1ghz G4 CPU, and can easily go up to $400+ It may not be worth it to spend a lot of money on your current machine if you want to run Leopard, it may actually be a good idea to buy a newer Powermac or eMac that is capable of running it, as processor upgrades can be reasonably difficult to perform for the novice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Charlie as advised OWC are the go and you can see I am using a Mercury Extreme 1.3GHz CPU upgrade. It is rock solid and fast with the 2MB L3 cache and runs Leopard superbly. OWC after sales service is A1.

Your posts does not say where you are. If in mainland USA above post is no doubt good advice, but in England or here in Australia where 1.25DP MDD still bring over the $600 mark, upgrades are a serious alternative.

Fitting the upgrade is really easy, however you must make sure the firmware of your computer has been upgraded BEFORE installing upgrade, and you need to do this whilst running OS 9. Like mine it needs to be 4.2.8. Go to ABout this Mac and see what is installed currently. If it needs upgrading downloads from the Apple web site is the go.

As for a DVD burner installed a Pioneer DVR-=115D 20X Dual Layer burner for a cost of AU$39.00 so they are as cheap as chips. XLR8 your mac web site has how to's complete with photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.