Shared machines not showing in Finder Sidebar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have a Macbook wirelessley connected to a Netgear DG834GT ADSL router which has a mixture of other wired and wireless clients - all windows - a mixture of Vista and XP, desktop and laptop. All these machines can happily share files with each other including my Macbook.

However none of these machines appear in the finder sidebar.
Cmd+K works with an IP address no problem. But never do they appear in the sidebar so I need to recall all the IP addresses. Machine names do not work.

This post may seem like well trodden ground but I can't find a solution. Searching the forum and Googling have turned up many ideas but so far none have worked.

I suspect this is a router issue. I took my Macbook to a friends business (they have the same router). All the shared machines there instantly appeared in the sidebar! So I compared the settings on the 2 routers. Nothing appears drastically different. A few different ports open to accommodate mail servers etc but nothing special. But I could be looking in the wrong place.

Is it significant that I can't use a machines name I have to use the IP address? Is this a DHCP/DNS issue?

Anyone with any thoughts or ideas?

TIA
mrplow

Reaction score
I am in the same boat but with a Belkin N1 router. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.