Why Are Office 2008 Apps Slow to Open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Why does it take so long for apps like Word to open? is it in a learning mode e.g. fonts, preferences?

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
I've noticed it too... I thought upgrading from Office 2004 to Office 2008 would improve speed since the new version now runs natively on Intel.
In my case, the problem really comes from Word 2008... Excel and Powerpoint seem alright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Usually word checks the integrity of all fonts as it loads, have you got a lot of fonts open?

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
How do I check how many fonts are open? All I've done with the fonts is change the default font to times new roman.
What can I do to reduce the number of open fonts?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Just look in the font menu in word, if there are hundreds in there then that may be part of the problem

If you are interested in managing your fonts more professionally, below is a copy of a previous post

If you are going to start loading quite a few fonts, font book is not the best app, the free font explorer is much much better

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase (another font management tool - not free) guide (the guide is free)

dl.extensis.com/downloads/ SC/EN/P/Fonts_Best_Practices_in_OSX.pdf

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.