MacBook Hard Drive about to die

Reaction score
My HDD is hitting hard and making a squeak. When it does, I get a slight system pause.

Its a 120GB SATA Fujitsu and my warranty ran out in December.

I see it is easy to replace, but I would like help with 2 things.

1.Can anyone recommend a dependable drive to replace it with? Bigger is fine, but I am more concerned with quality.

2.I would rather image the new drive instead of reinstalling the OS. Mainly because I use parallels and do not want to reinstall XP. Is there any way to do this without an external SATA enclosure? If not, is there a way to just back up your parallels setup and your itunes library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
http://www.macservice.com/index.html

they can replace your HD for you and copy the old HD to the new one. I'm sending my computer off to them tomorrow, I can let you know how it went when I get mine back...

Reaction score
My HDD is hitting hard and making a squeak. When it does, I get a slight system pause.

Its a 120GB SATA Fujitsu and my warranty ran out in December.

I see it is easy to replace, but I would like help with 2 things.

1.Can anyone recommend a dependable drive to replace it with? Bigger is fine, but I am more concerned with quality.

2.I would rather image the new drive instead of reinstalling the OS. Mainly because I use parallels and do not want to reinstall XP. Is there any way to do this without an external SATA enclosure? If not, is there a way to just back up your parallels setup and your itunes library?

Hitachi or Seagate both make a great 200 gig 7200 rpm hard drive. I got my Hitachi for 169.

OP
H
Reaction score
For the price of service, Im sure I could easily pay for an external SATA enclosure many times over.

Ironically, I use to repair G3 Macs and these new ones are much easier when it comes to HDD replacement. It would almost be a shame to pay someone to do it.

From what I remember, all we did was use the Disk Utility and a fire wire drive to image the new HDD with the old one. At worst, I should be able to do this by buying a $25 2 1/2" SATA USB (or firewire) enclosure.

Im just wondering if its necessary.

Reaction score
See if you can borrow one from someone, or go to a computer repair shop and ask to use one that they have just for a couple minutes. Its a long shot, but otherwise you will need to buy an enclosure or pay to have someone do it. HDD enclosures are good to have around anyways, in case of emergencies.

Dylan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.