Removing icons from desktop

K

kathleen

Hi,
I recently had to install a new harddrive on my Powerbook ( :( ) and the default settings for the computer were restored. In the past, I had somehow removed the Macintosh HD icon from my desktop, and my desktop was completely free of icons. I can't remember how I did that...does anyone know how to get rid of the MacHD icon? I don't want any icons on the desktop. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Task Bar (at the top of the screen) Finder > Preferences > Un-check "Hard Drives".....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
baggss said:
Task Bar (at the top of the screen) Finder > Preferences > Un-check "Hard Drives".....

It's a Menu Bar, not Task Bar... That's the thingy with the start button in Windows :D
The Menu Bar shows (as the name states) application menus and menulets, not running tasks (like the Windows Task Bar, or the OS X Dock).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Well said Avalon :)

Reaction score
Hi Kathleen, for all icons try this

I recently started watching movies on my laptop and seeing the icons on the desktop started to annoy me. I didn't want to click fullscreen b/c the video would become blurry. Here's what I found that helped me out tremendously. It hides all of the icons on your desktop! And you can easily bring them back whenever you want to. I love watching hour long movies now without having to see my myriad of files/folders in the background.
First you will need to select the application "Terminal"

*To hide all icons copy and paste exactly this in to the window:

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false

*Hit the enter key. Now copy and paste this:

killall Finder

*Hit enter again.

What we did was initiate the command to hide all icons on the desktop. Not just the Hard Drive ones. Then we had to reset the Finder so the changes occurred. All of the files will still exist, but they’re now discretely hidden in your home folder’s “Desktop” directory rather than cluttering up your actual desktop. :D

*To show the Desktop icons again, open the Mac Terminal and type the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool true

*For changes to take place, reset the finder:

killall Finder

And you should have all the icons appear again. Hope this helps anyone. Credit to osxdaily.com for the steps!
Hide All Desktop Icons in Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, just testing here. The last post I see is #7 dated April 9, 2011. So why is it visible on the list?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.