Can't boot from cdrom

R

rickenbacherus

UMAX s900 w/ original Matsushita applerommed cdrom drive. It refuses to boot from cd even though I hold the 'c' key during boot. I've tried it holding the 'c' key both before power-on and immediately after power-on.

I can insert a cd after boot, it will mount and I can select it from the control panel as the disk to boot from. It will in fact boot from cd if the disc is chosen in that fashion. I installed 9.1 that way.

If I hold the mouse button down during boot the cdrom tray ejects- don't know what that signifies but that's what it does.

The keyboard is brand new, the cdrom drive works in all other aspects, plays music discs, etc. but I'll be damned if I can get it to boot a known working bootable disc.

I'm out of ideas (other than buying a new drive). Thanks for any assistance.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is the cdrom disk a bootable disk?

OP
R

rickenbacherus

rman said:
Is the cdrom disk a bootable disk?

Yes of course. From the first post..

"I can insert a cd after boot, it will mount and I can select it from the control panel as the disk to boot from. It will in fact boot from cd if the disc is chosen in that fashion. I installed 9.1 that way."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.