How can I connect to my wireless network?

E

evopanop

So, as the title reads... How can I connect to my wireless network. I have a Linksys Wireless-G Router, and I want to connect to it with my PowerMac G4. How would I go about doing this? So far, I've tried using the Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge, the Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with Speedbooster... oh, and I've even tried using the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, and that thing does not work worth a ****. Neither do their high-gain antennas. Right now, I'm on the internet, typing this on my Dad's Dell Laptop. So, anyone have any ideas? Would an internal PCI card even work? Neither one of those other products worked at all... I've almost given up hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
buy an airport card for the Mac.....

OP
E

evopanop

Is there anything else that I can get? I was kinda hoping I could get something that's 802.11G compatible, because the original AirPort is only 802.11B. Also, I was hoping to get something at the local Best Buy. I just moved to Indio, and the closest Apple Store, Comp USA, or Fry's is like 70 miles away, lol. I didn't really want to order anything off of the internet, either.

Any other ideas, from anyone? :bandage:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's wrong with 802.11b? Unless you have a dedicated T3 line in your house, your never going to come near 11Mb....

This whole 802.11g thing reminds me of Intells Mhz campaign back in the 90s. The fact that your almost never going to be able to come near filling the pipe seems lost on most people....

OP
E

evopanop

Because I have a full-blown PC network in my household, and I'd like to use it for transferring files back and forth between computers, as well. So, in that regard, I'm sure the 802.11g would help quite a 'bit.

Anyone know of anything that I can use? Would the Linksys PCI card work? I'm almost afraid to try it... I'm getting kind of sick of buying things and then having to return them the same day. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure that 802.11g will make any difference. Wireless transfer rates are still butt slow between computers...

HERE is an article that explains a bit.....

And HERE is another one that will help. Looks like 802.11g would be faster, but unless your moving huge chunks of data around, it may not be worth it....

OP
E

evopanop

baggss said:
I'm not sure that 802.11g will make any difference. Wireless transfer rates are still butt slow between computers...

HERE is an article that explains a bit.....

And HERE is another one that will help. Looks like 802.11g would be faster, but unless your moving huge chunks of data around, it may not be worth it....

Hmm... alrighty then. So, the only thing that's compatible that you can think of is the original AirPort card? I guess I'll be buying one soon, then... lol. :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.