• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel Quad Core Mobile Chips & Six Core Desktop Chips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
waiiitttt... that second link... does that mean that the june update might possibly have quad core processors in the MBP's?

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The article said it's for desktop replacement laptops which are big, bulky, and heavy. I wouldn't see them in the MBP in the near future. Eventually, I would assume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
The article said it's for desktop replacement laptops which are big, bulky, and heavy. I wouldn't see them in the MBP in the near future. Eventually, I would assume.

wat do u mean by desktop replacement laptops? doesn't sound like apple... lol

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen an HP laptop with a 20" monitor. It's a laptop that wouldn't be something you'd want to lug around everyday.
It doesn't sound like a MBP now but I would suspect Apple would put one in there eventually when prices drop and battery life as well heat issues are resolved.

Reaction score
I was under teh impression that 17" notebooks were considered desktop replacement territory. I guess that was a few years ago when 17inchers were a big deal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I've seen an HP laptop with a 20" monitor. It's a laptop that wouldn't be something you'd want to lug around everyday.
It doesn't sound like a MBP now but I would suspect Apple would put one in there eventually when prices drop and battery life as well heat issues are resolved.

Now i know what you mean, i saw a dell just like that, huge display, top loading cd/dvd/bluray (with purchase) drive. and fullsized keyboard.

now that was a beast, but sadly it was running vista, and it started from 2000ish bucks.

still was really cool

however i don see the need for apple to make one of those, although they could probably come up with a better concept to go with the "desktop replacement laptop"

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now quad processors are too hot and use too much power for regular laptops. Once Intel can fix these issues, we'll probably see quad processors in current model Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Maybe when all these issues are sorted we might see these quad core things in imacs too. As they use mostly laptop specs anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Spec wise, the MBP IS a Desktop replacement. I have owned 5 DTR PC Laptops, the last one being a Dell 9400. This MBP I have now is more powerful than all of those, and only slightly more powerful than the 9400. So while the MBP may not weigh 17 pounds, yes it IS a DTR by definition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.