My laptop is dented...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
my laptop fell a foot and a half and got a noticeable dent on the side. I have apple care, do you think they will fix it?

Reaction score
no
applecare covers their defects, not your mistakes

As far as I know they don't offer any complete care type coverage like Dell does.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I'm kinda tempted to just sell it, its a MBP core2duo 2.2 GHz, with 4 gigs of ram 120 GB Hard Drive, 15.1 inch screen, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB, and OS X 10.5 Leopard. Its got a dent on the side but still works... How much do you think I can get for it?

Reaction score
Whatever somebody is willing to pay for a dented laptop.

Go research craigslist and ebay and see what one in mint is going for. That will give you a high point.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just can't believe apple charges $1,500 to fix the dent, at that point I might as well get a new computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
How bad is the dent? You say the laptop still work, so who cares about a small dent.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I mean, realistically speaking, it won't be in mint condition soon anyway. Stuff happens. Pixels burn out. Things get dented and scratched. Can you live with it?

I've got a dead pixel and a scratch on mine, but still incredibly happy that I've got my MacBook Pro. At least it's not a Dell.

I've got that Speck case, and it's awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Here's what that part of my computer looks like, with the case on.

I think it'll fit fine. The clampy parts aren't on that end of the keyboard.

03-17-08_1837.jpg

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, i just ordered the case, hopefully that will prevent future denting. Do you think it will hold down the current dent?

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ooh, it looks like my power cable is also broken... time to order a new cable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
You do realize that could be repaired if you were to take apart the laptop and bend the metal back, just be careful not to bend it too much as the metal could be come weaker. Since your laptop has already been dropped and has noticeable damage most likely apple wont warranty it anyway so you don't have much to loose as long as you are careful when you take it apart.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do realize that could be repaired if you were to take apart the laptop and bend the metal back, just be careful not to bend it too much as the metal could be come weaker. Since your laptop has already been dropped and has noticeable damage most likely apple wont warranty it anyway so you don't have much to loose as long as you are careful when you take it apart.

wait, do you mean that dropping my laptop voided my warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
wait, do you mean that dropping my laptop voided my warranty?

You are most likely going to have difficulty getting warranty work. It may not void the warranty on all the components but it is possible it may void the warranty on some. For example if your hard drive was to fail during your 1 year warranty I HIGHLY doubt apple would warranty it, Same could be said for any LCD problems or motherboard problems. Apple may be really nice though if you do have problems and not void your warranty. I am sure they treat these situation on a case by case basis.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and I JUST bought the 3 year apple care...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try contacting member MacService. They seem very reasonable and are members here. Get a quote from them.

If I were to repair that machine, I would probably straighten the metal of the lower case and replace the palm rest assembly. There will still be a blemish on the side, but it wouldn't be popped up like it is right now. The part is available for $250 from ifixit.com. Just keep in mind that repairing it yourself could void your warranty.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try contacting member MacService. They seem very reasonable and are members here. Get a quote from them.

If I were to repair that machine, I would probably straighten the metal of the lower case and replace the palm rest assembly. There will still be a blemish on the side, but it wouldn't be popped up like it is right now. The part is available for $250 from ifixit.com. Just keep in mind that repairing itself could void your warranty.

Thats if my warranty is not already void from the fall, lol

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, wow! Just visited the site and it looks amazing! Thanks cwa107, while I'm at it I think I might upgrade my HD... (you sure I can trust them with my laptop though?)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
oh, wow! Just visited the site and it looks amazing! Thanks cwa107, while I'm at it I think I might upgrade my HD... (you sure I can trust them with my laptop though?)

If you do replace that panel, be sure keep the old one. According to the Apple Service Manual, the keyboard can actually be separated from the panel, so you could very likely recoup some of that cost by reselling it on eBay. MBP parts are pretty rare out there, unless someone is parting out a machine.

You may even be able to straighten that panel out by removing it and bending the mounting tab back into position. I hate to encourage you to open it if you're not familiar with laptop repairs, because the MBP is certainly not a good one to learn on (it's pretty tedious to disassemble/reassemble), but you might be able to save a substantial amount of money by DIY. Just keep in mind that you may void your Apple Care (if you haven't already done so) or damage the machine even worse.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I'm shipping off my MBP to get fixed, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.