HELP! wallstreet/wavelan bronze

Reaction score
Hey new Mac user here. I got a cheap old G3 wallstreet to learn the way of the Mac. (I am a diehard PC guy)

I got a WAVELAN Bronze pc wireless card for the G3. I got three sets of drivers: Aerocard, which seems to be a freeware 3rd party version of AirPort.

Airport itself, was installed on the laptop when I bought it.

And, Orinoco drivers.

I have a wireless network at home with a Netgear 108Mbps/B/G router.

I am running OS9.2 and the G3 has got a 233 PPC and 386MB ram.

What happens is, OS9 recognizes the WaveLAN card, and it even sees my home wireless network and ID's it by name. But I get no connection.

I cant see the G3 from the Netgear side of things...."list devices" shows no G3.

I am even picking up a neighbor's wifi on the G3 but cant connect to that one either!!!

I am ripping my hair out here, please help. I may have to go back to pc's!

I thought Macs were 'easy'! (I guess not when youre using outdated equipment)

thanks

steve

Reaction score
Idaho, USA, Out in the Country Northwest of Boise
Your Mac's Specs
Pismo 400MHz bought for $46
The problem is likely encryption. The WaveLAN Bronze doesn't do encryption. The current minimum is 128 bit encryption (still pretty useless if someone really wants to crack your network). I have a WaveLAN Silver with 64 bit encryption on my Pismo and have to turn encryption off to get it work.

The only way I could get anything to work was to turn off encryption on the access point.

I have heard the WaveLAN Silver cards can be flashed to use 128 bit with WaveLAN or Orinoco software but it requires a PC or OS X to do. These cards are pretty cheap on eBay, I have seen them for $3 + shipping.

By the way I have never been able to get any of that software to work on my PowerBooks except Orinoco. I hear some have been able to get AirPort to recognize Silver cards and through an Airport update been able to flash them to 128 bit.

Reaction score
ditto g3 problem

I am having the same problem with my g3 wallstreet. I just got dsl wireless and can't seem to pick up the signal on the wallstreet. I believe I have the proper drivers installed for the gold/silver cards (of which I have both). You talked about making sure encryption was off. Where do you go to do that? Control panels? I have OS9 and OS10.2 on the powerbook if that makes a difference.
Also, would it possibly help to use an Airport base station in conjunction with the dsl wireless? I have an old graphite unit. If this might help, how would the sequence of devices be set-up? Phone line to dsl modem, modem to ethernet hub, etc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.