Very long boot time (Mac OS 9.2.2)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, 2x 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160+80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.6, nVidia GeForce 5200FX
Hello,

I have a beige Mac G3. From what I can find, this is a Revision A ROM. The problem is the long boot time, it takes about 30 seconds before the screen even starts (the light turns green). I have a PC monitor connected to it, because I don't have a Apple monitor.

This happens when I do a cold boot as well as when I do a reboot. When I have had the battery out for about 30 minutes, it starts my screen as soon as I press the powerbutton. Because of this I believe something is wrong in the PRAM (I guess).

The hardware is just as it was when I got it, I only installed 320MB RAM instead of the original 32MB. The only expansion card is an audio/video personality card.

What is causing this (in my eyes) huge delay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It may be all that ram, I think OS 9 does a ram check on start up

To disable the Startup Memory Test:

Press and hold Command + Option while Open Memory Control Panel
Under Startup Memory Tests, select the Off option

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, 2x 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160+80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.6, nVidia GeForce 5200FX
Well, I just rebooted it and the delay was gone.

When it returns I will certainly try that. Thanks anyway.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem returned, and I did as you said. I disabled the bootup memory check and now everything is fine.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.