Network file/folder names truncated

Reaction score
Just got a new MacPro with 10.5.2 but I've run into something weird. A lot of the folder and file names on our windows network machines are truncated. This makes my life very difficult when I'm in a client folder that has a lot of files with similar names.

This wasn't happening before when I was running 10.4. Any ideas on how I can fix this are am I just SOL?

Thanks,
R2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Hmmmm ...
We had same problem at our company. If I remember correctly the cure was to mount servers with smb:// in forin of IP, as if you mout them just with IP, mac uses AFP (or something like that) network protocol which causes names to be truncated.
Or maybe that was the solution to unaccessible files on win server.

Try and see if it works,

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I know for sure that I'm connecting with AFP:// because that's what it says in my "favorites" when I use Go>Connect to Server.

When I try to force SMB:// in front of it, it gives me a connection error. I'll keep trying, but it seems like I'm on the right track at least.

Thanks,
R2

OP
R
Reaction score
Actually, quick update here... I had to use SMB and then the actual IP address like you mentioned.

It worked!

Thanks so much for your suggestion. :D

R2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Microsoft servers use an antiquated version of AFP that only supports 31-character filenames.

It's almost always better to connect using SMB, unless you need access to the resource fork of a file, which only AFP exposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Actually, quick update here... I had to use SMB and then the actual IP address like you mentioned.

It worked!

Thanks so much for your suggestion. :D

R2
Oh well, at last this shows that my memory still serves me somewhat ... And my typing skills are worse and worse ... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.