What are the main differences between an Apple and a PC?

R

RB4580

Not fast/slow, ect. But like programs. What can I expect to be different that I will have to learn when using an Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, the look and feel of Mac OS X and Windows are quite different, with some minor similarities.
To be honest, it's quite difficult to describe...
The best thing would be to go to an Apple store, or any other store that sells Apple stuff, and try it. It may be confusing at the beginning, but you'll get used to it very fast.

Another major difference is that there is no such thing like a registry, or add/remove programs panel. Installing an application is in most cases just dragging and dropping them to the Application folder, that's all. And it's the same for uninstalling, just put the application into the trash, and that's it.
In fact, system and user space are strictly seperated in Mac OS X, it's not as easy to mess up the system as it is with Windows.

A major change would be the fact that antivirus software is just simply not necessary. There are nearly no viruses for Mac OS X, and those few that exist, need to be manually downloaded and executed, no selfspreading worms, self-executing spyware or malware whatsoever. The reasons for this are the small marketshare of Apple, which makes it uninteresting for virus developer. And also, as described above, the fact that the system isn't easy to mess up and that user interaction is needed to execute viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
For me one of the biggest changes was no right click, but you can get multi button and wheel mice if you want. But I didn't, I have come to love the 1 button mouse preferring to use the keyboard replacements. Apple W to close window, Apple Q to quit apps, control +mouse button to copy image, Apple C copy text and Apple V to paste. All easy enough I think

OP
M

m1k

For me one of the biggest changes was no right click, but you can get multi button and wheel mice if you want. But I didn't, I have come to love the 1 button mouse preferring to use the keyboard replacements. Apple W to close window, Apple Q to quit apps, control +mouse button to copy image, Apple C copy text and Apple V to paste. All easy enough I think

Exactly the same for me. I love Apple's shortcuts, they are very simple and make a LOT more sense than the Windows ones.

Also RB4580, OS X is a lot easier to use than XP. Stuff is easier to find, the control panel is organized logically, pretty much everything in OS X is better. Expect to love OS X much more than XP ;)

Also get used to beautificality. All of Apple's products are gorgeous, and so is OS X.

That's pretty much all, a better, more good-looking comp/OS, for less than a comparable Windows machine (often).

Good luck with whatever Mac you're getting!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.