Apple iMac - Wake Up Apple!!! give it what it needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all

i admit..i m a Windoz user :( but only by neccesity !

i dont like it at all...XP is better than Vista, but still.... hang ups, looong thinking time, i only got the Antivirus loading at startup (and yes, i got a fast start up), but in a fashion typical to W, it chooses ,,the best moments'' to think for a loooong time....

i.e. try opening a video with anything while the tuner is recording...

or vice versa... you get he picture.

I ve been pondering the Imac 24 inch top of the line for a loong time now (pondering and drooling at the same time xD), but there is ONE last thing holding me back from buying one ...

NO, its not money! i could safely get 3 of top Imac configs ..

the imac seems more than decent..BUT (here is the BIIIG BUT...)...

the video graphic board.....ehh...SUXXXX BIIG TIME!

2600 ?!? thats like ....err...not even stone age ... more like bacterial age...

there are laptops much slimmer than the 24 inch model...yet they boast 8700 Nvidia with 512 !!!!!

yes, i m talking about Sony Vaio AR line of laptops !!! i.e. Sony Vaio AR61

deep in my heart. i m deeply sad and cannot fathom how something half as slim....has allmost double the graphical power!!!

the 24 inch Imac is...well..big ;P

REPLACE THE OOLD OUTDATED 2600 WITH AT THE VERY LEAST:

A) ATI HD 3870 (or equivalent...)
B) Nvidia 8700 (or equivalent..)

just REPLACE it with something that mathes the boards mentioned above!

if Apple Inc. would want. tney could easily place a graphic board with 512 GDDR4 and very good RAMDAC speeds!!!!!!!!

that could beat the crap our of 95% windows desktops!!!!!!

THINK ABOUT IT! what is the only real drawback of Imac?

Yes, graphic memory !! it DOES matter!

and please..do NOT tell me it cant bedone cause of size etc etc !!!!

the 2600 is by no means a small board at all!
and the Sony Vaio 8700 Nvidia i bet, is SMALLER !!! and gives out LESS heat!

so, i beg you Apple............PUT SOMETHING equivalen to the boards i mentioned INSIDE Imac!

and you ll have yourself a life worship fan :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It can be done. The only people who bug me are the ones expecting Apple to put one of those in a Mac Mini. There it would not fit. Anyone who has ever upgraded a Mini will know how crowded one is even now.

On the iMac, yes, they could fit in a much more powerful graphics card without one issue. I have a feeling the next revision will have a better graphics chipset like they did recently with the Macbook Pro that just was revised.

The current GPU is fine for what I do with OSX on an iMac as I play my demanding games on a custom built gaming rig, but for some it would help a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Isn't the iMac marketed as a consumer model? Most people don't need more video horsepower. I use it as a development machine and think it's just fine. I don't do any gaming though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They'll probably be revised iMacs in the next few months, but it's no certainty the GPUs will be improved.

Remember putting a high end GPU in the iMac would steal sales from the Pro.

Why don't you like the 2600 by the way? It's not as bad as you think you know and roughly similar to the GeForce 8600.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
What games for Mac (noticed how I said Mac not PC) don't work well using the current video card?
The high end games that can actually make use of better card are for PC's. Apple isn't trying to compete in the gaming market; it'd be a bad move to try. Why toss in a better card and add $100 to the price tag?

OP
aztec11us
Reaction score
not necessarily games (though yes....soem included as a afterthought)

but really...allmost ALL computations including media and images (either still or in motion) use the graphiccard !

would the introduction of a TI 3870 or NVIDIA 6800 steal from Mac Pro ?

NO!!!!! why ? because Mac pro is a true powerhouse and those needing rocket powered computer will STILL go for mac pro, and NOT Imac!

the introduction of a better graphic GPU will simply bring it up to date a bit...

and put it on par with Windows comsumer pc who also dont need huge graphic power either, but somwhow they kick Imac'*** still with their graphic CPU :(

remeber that on average, the cheap windoz pc comes with at least, ATI 3570 !!! (the cheaper version of 3870 ) !!!

and 3570 kicks 2600 by long really...
i like to call the windoz regular consumer PCs --- frankenputers ROFL

why ? cheap parts, cheap making....

so why does a high end really excellent product like Imac, is BEHIND a cheap o dozen product like a frankenputer, in such a vital area ?!?

i m not saying ,,morph the Imac into a Mac Pro second'' or a proffesional graphic PC !!!!

just put it on par with regular windows machines !!!

get the idea now ?

OP
aztec11us
Reaction score
and to the person saying 2600 isnt bad...he doesnt really know what he is saying, doesnt he ?

2600 and the 2900 (its update) share same bad things --- they generate loads of heat, eat a lot of power ....and arent too effective for what they consume

the ATI 3870 and 3570 were updates to 2900 and 2600

in a true paradox manner, reducing some chipset stuff in 3870 and 3570, instead of reducing efficeny, usint the 90 nm manufacturing process, they actually GREATLY increased efficeny, reduced heat and improved consumption A LOT !!!

see my point now ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Still don't get it.
Graphics cards shine in areas like 3D work. What types of apps do Mac users besides games and ones that build 3D models? Can you show us how better the graphics cards you mentioned are a lot faster for 2D work not 3D work??
Please back what you're saying with facts. Link us to a cheap PC by Dell or someone with the 3570.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the answer to your dilemma is simple.

get a windows based gaming rig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
just put it on par with regular windows machines !!!

get the idea now ?
"Regular" Windows machines:

Dell - Inspiron 530 - Graphics Card = ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128MB

Gateway - DX441S - Graphics Card = Integrated Intel® GMA 3100 Graphics with 256MB Shared Memory (DX441X available w/ATI Radeon™ HD 2400XT 256MB)

HP - Pavilion Slimline s3300z - Graphics Card = Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE or 256MB ATI Radeon 2400 PRO

Looks to me like "regular" Windows machines use pretty much the same Graphics Card... some are even less powerful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The $1800 XPS Dell All-in-One system has an ATI 2400. So does the $2200 model.
Oh, and that's a 20" model. Hmmm... What a few minutes of actual research can do.

OP
aztec11us
Reaction score
http://www.ultrapro.ro/produse/sisteme/sisteme-desktop/ultra-i2006/ --- i dont know what pages you quoted me...those boards are old indeed...

here is a CHEAP system sold in my country ... above link copy paste...

you cant really tell me the Imac falls under the category ,,cheap for home'' !
another mediocre system ...

http://www.pcfun.ro/Sisteme-Desktop-PCfun/Sistem-desktop-PCfun-NJOY-I

this one actually kinda beats the Imac graphics .... and its really in the cheap home buy category ...

http://www.shopix.ro/produs-RPC-Plasma,-AMD-Athlon-64-X2-5000_24385.html

yet another mediocre home set....definatevly NOT in the same category as Imac ... just for laughs, look at price (it would be like 450 Euro)
see the graphic board ?

----------------

point is IT CAN BE DONE !

WHY wanna limit ? why do you like shooting youserlves in the foot ?!?

this is what puzzles me ....

the Imac CAN host a 3870 or 6800 just fine ... and that version could be sold alongside regualr 2600 version, just with a different price tag ...

this way, you INCREASE the Imac market share, STILL you do not disturb the Mac Pro, and makes the Imac much more flexible ...

i used to think of Apple Inc. as innovative and open ! Not as a mind closed company!
the mind closed is Windoz...

aside from a narrow way of thinking, there isnt any real logic reason why not to upgrade the Imac line

if you were a great company, and you knew you could make a product to be excellent..would you still make it mediocre instead of excellent ?!?!?

i wouldnt ! and no sane person would !

if somethign can be done to the maximum efficency..do it !

OP
aztec11us
Reaction score
Apple isnt the kind of company that settles doing things ... half way through...isnt it ?

i really hope not ...

OP
aztec11us
Reaction score
and BTW...why quote laptops ?!?!

Imac is desktop catgory...

because if we get into laptop comaprrison, i can easily point you all to Sny Vaio AR line of laptops that allmost any model beats the Imac graphics...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
TROLL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.