Accidentally hit "Learn this word"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I was writing an E-Mail in the Mac Mail program, when I spelled "Seriously" wrong. I right clicked it, meaning to correct it, but I accidentally clicked "Learn this word".

How do I undo this?

Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was writing an E-Mail in the Mac Mail program, when I spelled "Seriously" wrong. I right clicked it, meaning to correct it, but I accidentally clicked "Learn this word".

How do I undo this?

Thanks!

Let me see if I can figure it out and get back to you. I was wondering the same thing once but never did anything about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I think if you open the Dictionary application and then search for the misspelled word you can delete it there. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it adds the custom words to the Dictionary.

Edit: Actually! Just spell out the word, and then right click on it again, at the top of the contextual menu there should be an option that says "Unlearn Spelling". Click that, and it'll unlearn the word.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think if you open the Dictionary application and then search for the misspelled word you can delete it there. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it adds the custom words to the Dictionary.

Edit: Actually! Just spell out the word, and then right click on it again, at the top of the contextual menu there should be an option that says "Unlearn Spelling". Click that, and it'll unlearn the word.

Thanks for that one GS. Makes sense.

I am sure there is another way though and am still looking. If it's there I will find it! :D

Found it. The user dictionary is in Users/Library/Spelling

You need to have an editor like Bare Bones Text Wrangler that will show invisibles. Open the file in Text Wrangler. Click View, Text Display and then on Show Invisibles. All the words you added are there and with that option clicked will have a Red Question Mark in between them. Save it when you are done.

http://www.macworld.com/article/52357/2006/08/editspell.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Kudos (and reps) to both of you! Nicely done!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Kudos (and reps) to both of you! Nicely done!

agreed - had to subscribe to this one - cause I'll forget by the time I need it

OP
Weird Fish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Everyone, thank you so much. This is why I love this forum.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was very sure it could be done. Thanks to Weird Fish for asking to get me looking as I have thought about it many times and ran into that spelling folder a few times. So thank YOU Weird Fish!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.