WinXP keeps rebooting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac Intel
This started out of nowhere, but each time I boot up XP on my iMac, it gets to the desktop and sits for a few seconds, then restarts. It will sit there and do this all day if I let it. Safe mode works, but no matter what I do, I have found no resolution. I really REALLY don't want to have to reinstall or reformat, so if anyone has any clues at all....

running CHKDSK from DOS says it "found errors" and then when I ran the scan to try and fix them it got to 70% then reverted back to 50%, so I gave up on that.

also, I don't have Mac OSX at all on the machine, and I haven't installed ANY software lately.

imac intel core 2 duo 2ghz

Reaction score
This started out of nowhere, but each time I boot up XP on my iMac, it gets to the desktop and sits for a few seconds, then restarts. It will sit there and do this all day if I let it. Safe mode works, but no matter what I do, I have found no resolution. I really REALLY don't want to have to reinstall or reformat, so if anyone has any clues at all....

running CHKDSK from DOS says it "found errors" and then when I ran the scan to try and fix them it got to 70% then reverted back to 50%, so I gave up on that.

also, I don't have Mac OSX at all on the machine, and I haven't installed ANY software lately.

imac intel core 2 duo 2ghz

Well, it's Windows -- that should answer your question. LOL. I really don't know what to tell you. You could always backdoor the hard drive with something like BartPE and see if any files are missing. I doubt this has anything to do with the fact it is running on a Mac. It's something software with Windows. And having OS X on there wouldn't matter, and I wonder why you don't have it on there. It's two different partitions. Or more if you so choose. Google BartPE and check it out -- it's free, and it'll let you backdoor the HD and see what's going on. You could do it in safe mode, too, but BartPE is better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.